Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Cat Enclosure

Options
  • 16-04-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm looking for advise on how to construct an outdoor enclosure for my cat similar to the one this guy made in the video.

I've never done anything like this before, so I guess my first question is should I even attempt it? After that where could I get the material required in the Dublin/Kildare region and any advise on how to do it? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Is it ok to keep a cat locked up like that ! For his/her own safety I hope.
    The project is easily done with a few good tools.
    Firstly the materials seem to be one and a half inch square softwood and wire mesh in various sizes. These are all available in the DIY shops.
    Try and get pressure treated stock , if not you are into coating them against the Irish weather.
    You need to cut the ends squarely and I'd invest in a cheap miter saw if you already havn't done so.
    The joints can be screw together butt joints- nothing fancy or time consuming. Try and use stainless steel or weather coated screws.
    There must be 50 + joints in that construction so try and get the technique right. I'd prebore with a countersink bit and then drive the screws with another. That means two drill/ drivers or a quick change bit to speed up changing.
    Don't use nails - they are a bear to remove if you make a mistake.
    Lastly you will need a stapeler - either electric ( preferably ) or manual to secure the mesh and tarpaulin.
    Best of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi There,

B&Q would have everything you need there. They are good at giving advise and help too.
    Also, theres a timber supplier in Kildare, strahan timber, near newcastle just off the N7.
    I hope the poor cat will be allowed out!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) BTW you can buy simple nail on fencing staples - no need for a stapler as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

that enclosure looks fantastic, you must post photos of yours when it's done :) for those of you asking about the cat being "locked up" or "let out" it's for the cat(s)'s safety that they are given enclosures rather than allowed to roam, there's a lot of dangers out there for cats

Advertisement