Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower devonian sandstone?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, We farm on a small area of sandstone on the roscommon/mayo/galway border. The stone is very hard, I'm a sculptor and it's the hardest I've seen. Red, pink, brown, green and some purple, a lot of crystals and some metamorphism. It's on geology maps but not always distinguished from other sandstones to the northeast.
    I need a proper description of them and their frequency in Ireland. Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Slieve Dart? The sandstone from there was used for making millstones because they didn't produce much dust apparently. I notice on the maps that there is also a small area of granite as part of the ridge. Looks like an interesting area.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Thats interesting , I have found a few small millstones on the land some from the bronze age. We are to the north west of Slieve Dart around Ballinlough and there are a few more outcrops at Cloonfad and north of Ballyhaunis.
    I need a proper description of the stone and it's extent, it's to help market the small amount of beef we produce from our old irish breed.

Advertisement