Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball Scholarships??

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me do these happen for ladies basketball??
    Now my daughter is only gone 15 she plays in the div 1 Dublin leagues.
    Just wondering how you go about getting information on college scholarships for basketball both abroad and home.
    I know its early days she's only doing her junior cert :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

nickys wrote: »
    Just wondering how you go about getting information on college scholarships for basketball both abroad and home.
    Colleges in the states do offer scholarships for ladies basketball. I wouldn't imagine many colleges in Ireland would as its not a very large sport in comparison to others.
    In relation to getting information on sports scholarships it quite simple. You need to be in the right place at the right time and be good enough.
    College scouts aren't going to roam around Ireland looking for talent so you have to put yourself in the shop window so to speak.

The best way to do this is to get on one of the national underage teams or look for a club that plays in overseas tournaments on a regular basis.

Also if your club has a national league team with American players approach them for advice as they've been through it before and could give you some pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Word of warning, stay away from US scholarships as the chances of getting into a good program are virtually zero. There are many stories of kids that went on scholarship to the states, that afterwards did not even want to see a basketball again. (I have heard some horror stories of kids that went over, one as recent as last summer)

Locally, I would be suprised if either DCU or UL are not making inroads into basketball scholarships for girls.
    WIT is looking into setting up scholarships for basketball as far as I am aware, you should get in contact with the sports dept in WIT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Word of warning, stay away from US scholarships as the chances of getting into a good program are virtually zero. There are many stories of kids that went on scholarship to the states, that afterwards did not even want to see a basketball again. (I have heard some horror stories of kids that went over, one as recent as last summer)

Locally, I would be suprised if either DCU or UL are not making inroads into basketball scholarships for girls.
    WIT is looking into setting up scholarships for basketball as far as I am aware, you should get in contact with the sports dept in WIT
    Wouldn't really agree with you there. I know both male and females players who went to the states on scholarships and loved it. Ok the chances of getting picked up by Connecticut or Notre Dame are really slim but if you do your research there are loads of great programmes in Div 2 and 3.
    Going to the states gives you much more of a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Felexicon wrote: »
    Wouldn't really agree with you there. I know both male and females players who went to the states on scholarships and loved it. Ok the chances of getting picked up by Connecticut or Notre Dame are really slim but if you do your research there are loads of great programmes in Div 2 and 3.
    Going to the states gives you much more of a chance

I could give various examples but I wold rather not name names. One leading Irish player went last year and came back within weeks. This was not a kid, this was a second year college student. Maybe she was just unlucky, but my advice to any youngster would be to finish your education in Ireland, Including college, then try the USA. That way if it does not work out, you still have an Irish qualification, whereas if you go straight to the US, its unlikely any qualification will be recognized this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I could give various examples but I wold rather not name names. One leading Irish player went last year and came back within weeks. This was not a kid, this was a second year college student. Maybe she was just unlucky, but my advice to any youngster would be to finish your education in Ireland, Including college, then try the USA. That way if it does not work out, you still have an Irish qualification, whereas if you go straight to the US, its unlikely any qualification will be recognized this side of the Atlantic.

That is not true. If it is we have a sh1t load of unqualified engineers in the plant I work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

As regards Irish colleges, most if not all DO offer scholarships but they work differently than american scholarships.

First off you have to be in most colleges to apply for them and since there are no fees they usually only involve a grant of about €2000 (amount depends on college).

(WIT used to offer sports course scholarships before sitting the leaving)

Some may offer free housing if available but this is rare (UL has done this in the past).

Getting an Irish scholarship while in a college you will have to demostrate a good ability they usually look for people who participate at international level, or are involved in superleague/national league teams.

Competition for these scholarships can be though depending on which college you are in UL and DCU would be the toughest because of there association with national league teams which attracts some of the best players to their colleges.

The I.T.'s also offer scholarships but some of the basketball programs can be weak and will not help your daughter improve in skill level (if you want this head to a Uni with a national league team associated or head abroad) but saying that there are some good I.T.'s WIT, Cork IT, Carlow IT, ITB.

Hope this helps if you need anymore info just pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

Wow thanks for all the help.
    I will look into everything suggested on here.
    Her friends brother just got word he got a basketball scholarship into san antonio I think it is.... might ask his parents too.

She is playing gaa for county also at u16 and minor level and it has been suggested by the county she may get a gaa scholarship come 6th year but this is only small I think????

She was playing basketball for a midlands teams but got interest from some dublin clubs and has now began training the last while with a division 1 team in Dublin..she is only gone 15 and her coach suggested she would possibly make the irish team next year??? I however dont really know much about basketball so am not sure if this is the case or not...

I should ahve said she is hoping to do physiotherapy so I dont think an IT is an option for her
    Anyway thanks so much for all the unformation appreciate it

Advertisement