Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 4: Free Bird Vs Dream On

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

It's a new week, so I thought I'd start it off with a new song war thread. On the Plush Vs Would? thread, Would? won by a landslide. I was thinking of dedicating this one to two rock ballads in particular, Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd or Dream On by Aerosmith. Both are great songs which I feel will make for an interesting poll.

My choice goes to Dream On, I think it's really powerful and it's one of my favorite songs of all time. More to the point, that last part of the songs where Stephen Tyler starts screaming Dream On etc is epic.

PS I do hope this thread dosen't bring about unhappiness, on the last thread there was a bit of an argument over these threads. I hope there isn't a problem with me creating another one.

Which Do You Prefer? 34 votes

Free Bird
    0% 0 votes
    Dream On
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I voted freebird.

An unrivalled classic as far as Im concerned, its impossible to resist once the tempo picks up in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Voted for Aerosmith 'cause I despise Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Riddle101 wrote: »
    PS I do hope this thread dosen't bring about unhappiness, on the last thread there was a bit of an argument over these threads. I hope there isn't a problem with me creating another one.
    There's no problem from a moderator perspective anyway. I think anyone who is thinking of complaining about these song war threads needs to stop and review their own contribution to the forum first. These threads promote and provoke discussion which is exactly what any forum survives on. If there is no discussion then there is no forum and no one wants that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dream on
    Just for the catchy "Dream On" Repetitve section (that was also used by Eminem :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Dream on
    Just for the catchy "Dream On" Repetitve section (that was also used by Eminem :p)

And this is partly why I voted for Freebird. That and it's a great song.

• Advertisement

I think freebird is going to win by a landslide.

I find dream on to be annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Freebird. As classic as classic can get.

While Dream On is a good song, I find it a little flat. It's lacking a little oomph, imo - something Freebird has in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Forgot to say I voted for Dream On. It just edges Freebird for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dream on. Could never stand Free bird tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Freebird. Just ticks all the boxes I need to love a song.

It might not be Skynyrd's best song, but it sure is their most iconic. Plus for me it is a song that takes me back in time to when I had received some bad news from a doctor. I went to the car and pretty much hit the radio whilst on autopilot. Freebird and Springsteen's The River played back to back on the rock station I had pretuned into the car stereo.The song took me in under ten minutes from feeling despondent and sorrow for myself to a fcuk you world kinda place. Still Unbroken has pretty much become the official sequel to that song for me.

I like Dream On, and it is a good song, but it is one that I can only listen to every now and then, whereas Freebird is a song I can listen to more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's a game of two halves, with Dream On edging it right up until "Won't you flyyyyy hiiiiigh, Freeee Bird..." where upon Skynyrd tombstone Aerosmith through a table chisled from solid southern rock and dances on their face wearing golf cleats.

It's not a fair fight. You've got one of the greatest air-guitar songs of all time vs what isn't even on of Aerosmith's best songs. This is David's mate Steve vs Goliath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Freebird for me, mainly for the second half, but I like both songs a lot. Dream On sounded so different to anything else Aerosmith did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

blastman wrote: »
    Freebird for me, mainly for the second half, but I like both songs a lot. Dream On sounded so different to anything else Aerosmith did.
    This for me too
    I dont really like any aerosmith songs bar maybe "Crazy", but Dream on is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Free Bird for me, its one of the all time classics as far as im concerned! Great tune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Banjo wrote: »
    This is David's mate Steve vs Goliath.

This. Freebird. its a stone cold classic.

Q. What song do cover bands up and down the country use as a closer and leave the crowd wanting more?

A. It aint dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Free Bird can't lose this, it's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tough choice. Freebird is one of the best songs of all time imo and is the one I voted for, but Dream On for me was one of the first great songs I heard and opened a world of great music to me. The Dream On repetition at the end is one of my favourite sequences in a song ever

• Registered Users Posts: 30,402 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Dream On without a doubt!

Advertisement