Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossey mountain ranch Timahoe Laois

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

I want to do a bit of western riding and saw the website for this place. I can't find any reviews for it on the internet. Has anyone on here been there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

I haven't been there myself but there is a place in Leitrim that's meant to be excellent. If you are near Wicklow at all Kilnamanagh Stables run western clinics & shows the last Sunday of the month you will find details on donedeal or on their Facebook page, they also do western lessons. Pm if you would like contact info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

TinaOT wrote: »
    I haven't been there myself but there is a place in Leitrim that's meant to be excellent. If you are near Wicklow at all Kilnamanagh Stables run western clinics & shows the last Sunday of the month you will find details on donedeal or on their Facebook page, they also do western lessons. Pm if you would like contact info
    Thanks for that. I found the websites for the two places you mentioned and they seem more legit than that fossey mountain place. Fossey mountain ranch is more of a hen party haven than a place for someone that wants to learn western riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

I've been to both Laneway Lodge (http://www.lanewaylodge.co.uk/ Co. Down) and Five Oaks Ranch (http://www.westernridingireland.com/ Ballyshannon) and both were very, very good;

At Five Oaks, he catered very well for me and an inexperienced friend together on the trail. He introduced us to the horses and gave us a bit of background about why he was into Western Riding, and explained that he keeps just quarter horses. The trail was mainly forest tracks, some road riding and he was able to show me a bit of neck reining and of course I got a sudden introduction to their stopping ability after a canter :eek: :D

At Laneway Lodge it was slightly different; we had a short dvd and then went into the pen with some horses, trying some techniques he showed us. Then we took the horses out to an 'obstacle course' to try out neck reining, stopping etc. Then off on a trail - more off road than Five Oaks, and even down a river where we had to swap horses without touching the ground! :p We're going back for a camping trip soon, looking forward to it!

Hopefully that's given you a few more options, depending on proximity obviously. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

ems_12 wrote: »
    I've been to both Laneway Lodge (http://www.lanewaylodge.co.uk/ Co. Down) and Five Oaks Ranch (http://www.westernridingireland.com/ Ballyshannon) and both were very, very good;

At Five Oaks, he catered very well for me and an inexperienced friend together on the trail. He introduced us to the horses and gave us a bit of background about why he was into Western Riding, and explained that he keeps just quarter horses. The trail was mainly forest tracks, some road riding and he was able to show me a bit of neck reining and of course I got a sudden introduction to their stopping ability after a canter :eek: :D

At Laneway Lodge it was slightly different; we had a short dvd and then went into the pen with some horses, trying some techniques he showed us. Then we took the horses out to an 'obstacle course' to try out neck reining, stopping etc. Then off on a trail - more off road than Five Oaks, and even down a river where we had to swap horses without touching the ground! :p We're going back for a camping trip soon, looking forward to it!

Hopefully that's given you a few more options, depending on proximity obviously. Enjoy!
    Thanks for that information. I will give five oaks a go as they have horses that are fully trained to western riding. I have heard of a few places that only use English trained horses that are trained to neck rein and leg cues but still have English paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I went to fossey mountain a while back. First impression of the place was to turn the car around and not bother, unfortunately I didn't and went for a trail ride. I should have stuck with my first impression. 2 hour trail ride only lasted 1.5 hours one horse was lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 horseowner

Mod edit: <snip>

Please do not drag up an old thread, especially just to complain about the place. As this is your first post, it seems to me you specifically signed up to complain. Please don't do that.

Advertisement