Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking & Planting - North Galway

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Project: 25 Sqr. Mtr. Deck attached to living room with 5 meter walkway to utility building. Plant to plant on 3 sides for colour and a little shelter.

So I have 3 1 x 5 meter beds surrounding my decking, any recommendations on a good planting scheme. Not too enclosed, but I may go for some shelter on the windward side.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a decking provider in North Galway.
    Has anyone had s good experience that they would share?
    Also, I am undecided if I should go with pressure treated wood or a composite material?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Project: 25 Sqr. Mtr. Deck attached to living room with 5 meter walkway to utility building. Plant to plant on 3 sides for colour and a little shelter.

So I have 3 1 x 5 meter beds surrounding my decking, any recommendations on a good planting scheme. Not too enclosed, but I may go for some shelter on the windward side.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a decking provider in North Galway.
    Has anyone had s good experience that they would share?
    Also, I am undecided if I should go with pressure treated wood or a composite material?

Any help appreciated.

I know this is old, but did you go with composite decking or what has been your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

After looking at several composite options, I went with a natural hard-wood deck timber from Asia. The high quality composite options were very expensive and the cheaper ones did not look very good. Given that my deck is surrounded with beautiful plants I wanted a more natural look.

The deck looks good after 2 years, especially after rain, with no real visible weathering yet. I used a good quality deck stain and it is standing up well to my three boys and reasonably high usage. I plan to stain / protect it this year to keep it in good condition.

I did the foundation work myself, and got a local provider to install the decking as I was time-poor and there was a communion pending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Thanks for the reply. I've heard that the composite decking works out quite expensive alright. I agree with you that a good stain should keep the deck in shape and it's not the worst job out there. Can I ask where you got the Asian hard wood decking, i'm also in Galway myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

How is the decking holding up underfoot in our lovely western climate?
    Is it slippery when wet?

Advertisement