Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tax on 2nd job

Options
  • 15-04-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I live and work in Ireland and I have been given the opportunity to do some freelance work for a uk based company from home to boost my earnings. Do I pay tax there or here and is it worth taking up this work or will I get screwed for tax?

It's only an extra 6 hours a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 IrishTaxGuide

Going on the information you've given I would think that you would be working as a self-employed person on this job. So you will need to register with Revenue as self-assessed individual (using Form TR1) and file a tax return every year.

Whether its worth your while to take this job or not is really your call. It depends how much they are paying you for the 6 hours a week and whether you have used all your tax credits and rate bands already in your first job. If you have then you will only be earning half of whatever the UK people are paying you, after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There are a number of similar threads on the forum-- I typed out an analysis of the taxation a few weeks back - have a dig

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Of course it's worth taking up the work. You won't pay 100% in Ireland or the UK regardless of your situation! ;)

As a starting point, the taxation of your additional income largely depends on whether you are going to be treated as being self employed or an employee.

Once this has been ascertained you then move on to more specific queries in relation whichever is applicable to you.

I wouldn't necessarily take IrishTaxGuide's advice on the matter. He makes it out to be very definite whereas in reality it isn't.

Advertisement