Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All top teeth are going to fall out

Options
  • 15-04-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi ,my girlfriend was at the dentist recently and was told it is only a matter of time till 8 teeth on to of her mouth fall out.

My question is does she need 8 implants or could she get a couple and bridges or something else?

What would you recommend she go for?
    I dont know anything really so appreciate your help.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

brabo wrote: »
    Hi ,my girlfriend was at the dentist recently and was told it is only a matter of time till 8 teeth on to of her mouth fall out.

My question is does she need 8 implants or could she get a couple and bridges or something else?

What would you recommend she go for?
    I dont know anything really so appreciate your help.
    Thanks.

We don't know that much about her either but here goes...

She must have periodontal disease (gum disease). Did the dentist say how advanced this is?? Are her teeth loose?? Is he just pointing out a mild/moderate case of gum disease and stressing/scaring her into getting it treated or the ultimate consequence will be the loss of 8 teeth??

If it is advanced gum disease and she loses 8 teeth then the few that are left are likely to be affected too so not good to use as bridge abutments.
    8 implants is possible but you don't need an implant for every lost tooth a full arch of upper teeth could be secured on 6 implants but there are many variants of this..... A denture would be another option....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brabo

they in are in very bad condition and loose at the minute so she will lose them,could she get say two implants and a bridge inbetween?
    Money is an issue as we dont want to go abroad so the budget is about 5,000 or so,she does not want dentures but we were looking at a kind that clips between implants would that work?would that budget get her sorted?
    Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

,could she get say two implants and a bridge inbetween?

Yes but that will not replace 8 teeth
    Money is an issue as we dont want to go abroad so the budget is about 5,000 or so,she does not want dentures but we were looking at a kind that clips between implants would that work?would that budget get her sorted?
    Thanks for the info

If after 8 extractions, she has some teeth left then she has a few options;
    make a acrylic or metal based denture to fit around these remaining teeth- this will give it some support and stability
    make the same denture but with 2 implants to support it (if the teeth alone cannot support it...

remove all upper teeth if compromised anyway and make a full upper denture
    make this same denture but with attachments to 2-4 implants

place 6 impants and have a non removable set of teeth (metal-acrylc)

place 8 implants for metal ceramic bridge work

Hard to say what is right for her without seeing the state and position of the remaining teeth.
    Be carful what you spend your €5000 on, sometimes the best treatment for you doesn't look like the best treatment....
    eg. you could likely get the extractions, denture and 2 implants for under your budget in Ireland and this would be a good long term solution.
    or you could get the 8 extractions and bridgework to replace the teeth (supported by other compromised teeth) done abroad at a fraction of Irish bridgework costs under €5000 but this will fail within a few years and is a false economy....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brabo

Yes but that will not replace 8 teeth

If after 8 extractions, she has some teeth left then she has a few options;
    make a acrylic or metal based denture to fit around these remaining teeth- this will give it some support and stability
    make the same denture but with 2 implants to support it (if the teeth alone cannot support it...

remove all upper teeth if compromised anyway and make a full upper denture
    make this same denture but with attachments to 2-4 implants

place 6 impants and have a non removable set of teeth (metal-acrylc)

place 8 implants for metal ceramic bridge work

Hard to say what is right for her without seeing the state and position of the remaining teeth.
    Be carful what you spend your €5000 on, sometimes the best treatment for you doesn't look like the best treatment....
    eg. you could likely get the extractions, denture and 2 implants for under your budget in Ireland and this would be a good long term solution.
    or you could get the 8 extractions and bridgework to replace the teeth (supported by other compromised teeth) done abroad at a fraction of Irish bridgework costs under €5000 but this will fail within a few years and is a false economy....

Thats exactly the kind of info i was after thank you very much:)

Advertisement