Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats a camper?

Options
  • 15-04-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Sounds simple but I want some info from people in the know. I'm looking to buy a van and convert it to a camper. It will be used both to tow my boat and as a camper so only on the road very occasionally. What requirements do I have to comply with to tax and insure it as a camper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Slig wrote: »
    Sounds simple but I want some info from people in the know. I'm looking to buy a van and convert it to a camper. It will be used both to tow my boat and as a camper so only on the road very occasionally. What requirements do I have to comply with to tax and insure it as a camper?

Check dolmen website for there camper terms n con

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi Slig,

Here's a piece that I cut and pasted from the RSA website. This basically covers what you need to know.
    There are other RSA/Government sites with info but this was the first one I thought of.
    Hope it helps.

Q. What is the definition of a motor caravan?
    A motor caravan has the meaning given to it in Annex II of the Type-approval
    Framework Directive
    ; .i.e.
    A vehicle of Category M with living accommodation space which contains the
    following equipment as a minimum:
    (a) seats and table;
    (b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
    (c) cooking facilities;
    (d) storage facilities.
    This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment. However, the
    table may be designed to be easily removable.

Advertisement