Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gearbox oil level

Options
  • 15-04-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a hymer 644g 1996 2.5 litre turbo diesel.Gearbox has number bvu 251 on sticker on top of casing.is this the gearbox model and how much oil is needed.there is no level plug or dipstick as far as I can see.
    thanks in advance
    yours Zambo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

is there not a level/fill sttud on the side of the diff housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    there is a bolt on the front of the casing that looks like a level screw but when removed it does not let any oil out even when box is overfilled it seems to give access to some inside component.
    yours Zambo

ps if anyone has gear box photos showing level plug I would appreciate them

Your manual should state the fill capacity, but it's usually to the bottom of the fill plug.

My fill and drain plugs are fairly obvious massive female hex headed bolts (20mm or thereabouts) for an allen key, on the side of the casing, sometimes they're screws like the sump nut. They should stand out as not being integral to mounting/attachment of the gearbox. Can't help you on the specifics I'm afraid.

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/trans/clutchMan/transmissions/chkgearboxoil.html
    Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    is there not a level/fill sttud on the side of the diff housing?

should be those too possibly the same size, that's the diff though not the gearbox, it's news to me if they share the same resevoir.

you've a Merc Sprinter Liam , dontcha? Unlike yours , The Ducato , being front wheel drive , has the Differential and gearbox contained within the same housing. Hence the fill level stud on the side of the diff housing . Normally opened with a 21mm spanner or a square drive like a sump plug opener.

pre-sprinter rwd tho yes.
    that makes sense, just have to think outside the box

• Advertisement

Hi
    On the front of the gearbox there is a bolt with a 13mm hex head with a copper washer underneath.It looks like it should be a level plug and is about at the right level however the bolt is about 2 inches long and has a 90 degree approx point on it which I presume engages with some inside part.When removed no oil comes from the hole even if the box is overfilled.
    Yours Zambo

no , no , no... you won't find it on the front . Did you look at the rear like I said??? If it doesn't have that , it'll have a dipstick on the front , it's easily missed.

Hi Aidan
    I think I may be getting somewhere now.I was referring to the front as the side facing the front of the van and the rear facing to the back.
    Beside the half shaft as it emerges to the right wheel on what I would have called the right hand side is a female square socket head plug.I presume that is what you referred to.
    If this is indeed the level plug do I need to overfill to prevent the fifth gear problem or does that apply to my box.
    Thanks for your help.
    yours Zambo.

yeah thats the one . No need to overfill .

Hi
    Thanks for your help Aidan.
    yours Zambo

• Advertisement
Advertisement