Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Fuel 2: Gustafsson v Silva **Spoilers in thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm delighted Kenflo is on the commentary tonight for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I thought the change was that Goldberg is in instead of John Anik. A welcome change, I really dislike the Florian/Anik commentary team that does all the Fuel/Fox cards now.

I've just tuned in now so missed the first few prelims, anything good?

Kurz wrote: »
    I thought the change was that Goldberg is in instead of John Anik. A welcome change, I really dislike the Florian/Anik commentary team that does all the Fuel/Fox cards now.

I've just tuned in now so missed the first few prelims, anything good?

Yeah you're right, it's an FX card so it's normally Anik and Florian. I really like Florian as a commentator.
    Yeah there's been a couple of decent fights so far.

Yeah I like Florian too, and Mike Goldberg in spite of the fact that he's like a real life Run Burgundy. It's mostly John Anik that I dislike.

Man, disappointing to see Abedy getting taken apart like that, I thought he was going to do much better in the UFC, he'll probably be cut now.

Yeah I had him by ko in rd1 in the fantasy league. How wrong was I. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

You can watch it live FOC on ufc.tv. Thanks be to God

I think I'll hold off till 10:15 and watch it on tv with a few bottles instead.
    I prefer watching it on tv and I'm not in the humour of connecting the laptop to the telly! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Lads went to war. even if its only two rounds best fight ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

excellent transition into arm bar

Tough decision to be made there in Siver/Nunes. Great fight though, very even matchup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

whow, great ko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Well holy god!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wow, where did that KO come from? I didn't think it connected at first, then i thought it got him in his solar plexus, then kenflo says it got his jaw

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Sheeeeeiiit, I was guessing an easy sub for Thiago lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wow, where did that KO come from? I didn't think it connected at first, then i thought it got him in his solar plexus, then kenflo says it got his jaw

i still don't see it :confused:

edit, ah the view from behind is a bit better

Stann is 1 classy guy, Fair play to him for stopping striking, i hate this 'All American' bull**** though

Is the main event a 5 rounder?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

gustafson looked really good, might be a bit premature to talk about him taking jones but he looked good. good card in the end, the lesser cards seem to have a tendency to be better than the main numbered cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Trying not to spoil it (just watching ESPN) but did Damarques fight first or was Brad Pickett first?

ESPN showed Pickett warming up before a break but has Damarques fighting now.... :confused:

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Trying not to spoil it (just watching ESPN) but did Damarques fight first or was Brad Pickett first?

ESPN showed Pickett warming up before a break but has Damarques fighting now.... :confused:
    I was wondering that myself. I thought I somehow missed it. I wonder why it wasn't shown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Dean09 wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself. I thought I somehow missed it. I wonder why it wasn't shown.

Lyon match went int extra time

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Lyon match went int extra time

Poxy football!

Great event though. Some really good fights and finishes.
    I think I was the most impressed by John Maguire. Brilliant performance from him.
    I'd love to see Gustafsson v Jones. I think he has all the tools to beat him. He's a bit rough around the edges but with a bit of technical polishing I think he could have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I don't see Gustafsson able to put up a fight against Jones at all IMO. He's a full level or two in class below Jones. I hope it doesn't happen.

He's got great Bruce Lee type footwork similar to Bones parrying like a fencer using the left like a buffer all up in your face annoyin the **** outa ya but there's somethin weak, somethin fake in his style that isn't with Jones and that would be found out quick smart in a Gust v Jones match (massacre).
    He's certainly not as strong physically in any dimension. His wrestling doesn't seem powerful and decisive and dominating and instinctive the way Jones's is obviously. His pure speed of limb movement is astonishing though for his length, obviously he's packed with fast twitch stuff but again I think at the detriment of real power. I know ya don't need big weight behind every strike and that technique is the big thing i.e. speed and accuracy but his jumpin around is too much and too wasteful although that wasn't shown up against an 'I believe' one dimensional Thiago Silva (a virtually straight ahead traveler bare knuckle type fighter similar to that brickhead Leben, Joey Beltran etc etc). In actuality I reckon he very nearly lost that fight tonight !!! way more than people will remember.... he lucked out with some dodgy head movement on a couple of occasions and missed getting KO'd by some heavy Silva hands by an inch here n there i.e. another night and it was night night dream over. His straight right is too down the pipe textbookish the way somebody would throw it in a boxercize class (maybe harsh here:) and it had no more meaness in it than an angry written letter from Michael Bisping. This kid is great lookin, moves so quick, parries great, hard to find in the cage but Thiago stepped in his face to go to war a few times and this kid welched and skipped out. Let Dana and his European dream marketing machine carry this kid into total career annihalation v Jones in a 'just because he's tall and moves like jones' fight or better named 'cmon he's a sorta credible match up isn't he?? if we close our eyes and weally believe' fight.. naaaah not in my book..

(Ask Thiago in a week when he wakes up in the night shouting '****kkk I could've beaten that guy if I tested his stones a bit more and got straight in his grill and swung for that lanky chin of his... damnn')

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

theteal wrote: »
    excellent transition into arm bar
    Maguire?
    Looked really good. I really don't like Johnson at all. Was glad he out matched like that.
    Gypsy JuJitsu :D

I don't see Gustafsson able to put up a fight against Jones at all IMO. He's a full level or two in class below Jones. I hope it doesn't happen.
    I didn't say he's ready for a title shot now. He isn't. Plain and simple. But I think given that he is on a 5 fight win streak with 4 finishes he should be given maybe 2 more fights against higher level guys and see how he does.
    Maybe give him Bader or Nog next. I think he needs a couple more fights before he'd be anywhere near ready but potentially he has the tools to beat jones down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe give him Bader or Nog next.
    He was given Nog this time

Mellor wrote: »
    He was given Nog this time
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I didn't say he's ready for a title shot now. He isn't. Plain and simple. But I think given that he is on a 5 fight win streak with 4 finishes he should be given maybe 2 more fights against higher level guys and see how he does.
    Maybe give him Bader or Nog next. I think he needs a couple more fights before he'd be anywhere near ready but potentially he has the tools to beat jones down the line.

Bader would be a good fight for him I think, figure out where his wrestling is right now.

I'd like to see him get another couple of fights before Jones, mainly because I like to see challengers who are ready and champions get tested.

Bader would be a good fight for him I think, figure out where his wrestling is right now.

I'd like to see him get another couple of fights before Jones, mainly because I like to see challengers who are ready and champions get tested.

My thoughts exactly. No point feeding him to Jones now. Build up his experience a bit first at a steady pace and then give him a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

??

Hes original fight was to be nog but nog got injured

Advertisement