Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 weeks to go.... is it possible???!!

Options
  • 14-04-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm currently a leaving certificate student... yeeeeyyy :)
    Sooo I got 465 in my mocks, I need 550 or 560 for my course.
    Just wondering is this atall possible because I'm a bit worried?? Has anyone actually gone up by that amount of points from mocks to June?? :confused:
    Any general tips for leaving cert would also be much appreciated!!! :)

(ohh yeah I got 8 a's and 3 b's in Junior cert, only really stared studying alot after Easter that year.. If it makes any difference!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny93

Anything's possible. Did you study for the mocks? What/how many subjects are you doing? Have you finished the courses for all your subjects? If you're doing orals this week and have you studied for them? Did you find the mocks difficult, did questions throw you when you thought you were prepared? Were you disappointed with the results?

I mean... no one here can get inside your head. Much greater point gaps have been bridged in the past, it's definitely possible. You need to commit yourself to studying every night, and have your study planned and structured so you're not just wasting time [here]. If you need that much of a jump in points, you had better start putting the hours in. If you're studying, you should probably focus on doing endless amounts of questions from exam papers, especially for subjects like maths and the sciences. 560 is 4 A2s and 2A1s**. But realistically you're going to want 3/4 A1s to make up for any exams that go really bad (really bad=B2 :pac:)

It really depends on how much you really don't want to repeat and really want to get your course. 7 weeks sounds like a really short time... and it IS. A's in the leaving cert require precision, there's not much room for error or half-a**ed answers. So you'd better get your head down. Have fun, I'm sure you can at least make into the 500s :)

EDIT: Oooooooooh, are you doing honours maths? If so, you could get 525 points (1 A1 and 5B1s) and get 550! That is a much much less daunting task. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Danny93 wrote: »
    560 is 6 A2s

540 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

540 :pac:

565 :pac:

Assuming he's doing higher maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

What subjects are you doing and at what level? I think it is very possible for you to bridge the gap just really comitt to the study and never stop practising the exam papers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Well i didnt do much in the line of study or anything before Christmas, I did a little bit between the mocks and Christmas but I never really studied specifically for the mocks! Looking back i REALLY wish I had started studying back in September!! :( Im doing French, home ec, biology, geography, english, irish and maths all at higher level. I was actually delighted with my overall mocks points, didnt expect to get on that well atall!!
    English – timing is my major issue, i cant write fast!
    Irish – I was actually disappointed with this (C2) but looking back I did very little study.
    Maths – I was delighted!! (D3) Solid exam questions from now on.
    Home Ec – I was happy (B2) only had very little revision done
    French – happy out (B2) realistically the only revision I done was a bit of cramming the night before! :/
    Biology – Disappointed (C2) but I think I can improve this alot considering its basically just learning off.
    Geography – A1

Thanks for all the advice so far!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny93

e1994 wrote: »
    Well i didnt do much in the line of study or anything before Christmas, I did a little bit between the mocks and Christmas but I never really studied specifically for the mocks! Looking back i REALLY wish I had started studying back in September!! :( Im doing French, home ec, biology, geography, english, irish and maths all at higher level. I was actually delighted with my overall mocks points, didnt expect to get on that well atall!!
    English – timing is my major issue, i cant write fast!
    Irish – I was actually disappointed with this (C2) but looking back I did very little study.
    Maths – I was delighted!! (D3) Solid exam questions from now on.
    Home Ec – I was happy (B2) only had very little revision done
    French – happy out (B2) realistically the only revision I done was a bit of cramming the night before! :/
    Biology – Disappointed (C2) but I think I can improve this alot considering its basically just learning off.
    Geography – A1

Thanks for all the advice so far!! :)

Right. So you're definitely going for an A1 in geography (don't get complacent with that result though, still study). Home Ec, if you did got a B2 with little study, with effort you could pull that up to a B1/A2, same with French.

Biology is a massive course from what I hear, but not too difficult if you are good at rote learning, but if you haven't studied much you'd want to get cracking. Perhaps someone else would be able to give you more specific advice.

Maths is a problem. I don't want to be negative, but if you're ecstatic with a D3, it doesn't bode well. Paper 1 (if you're not doing project Maths paper 1) is very predictable and if you do 10 years of papers you should be covered (that's a lot of work, 25 hours worth). I'm not sure about paper 2, it's meant to be very easy to get a C/B but difficult for an A. Make sure that you know all the theorems (it's ridiculous if you mess up them) and again just do papers upon papers. I'm not sure whether Maths needs to be in the top 6 to avail of the 25 points but thats a big deal.

I hope you're studying your tits off for your French oral, you need it to go well, it makes everything easier. Download some French podcasts etc. and listen to them travelling/going to sleep.

You didn't mention what your mark was with English, but the only way to improve English is to write essays, and challenge yourself with difficult essay questions, that you don't think you can find the points for.

I can't really help you with Irish, I've never studied it in my life. :/

I can't really tell you what mark you need to get in each subject but 1 A1 and 5 B1s is the minimum. Whether Maths needs to be in our top six or not is very important, you'll have to look into that. And start studying today, don't say "ahsure I'll wait til school starts" etc. Good luck to ya anyway! :pac:

Thanks a million, will try to follow that advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

That's same as me I got around that in the mocks and I'm trying to attain 550+ in the real thing, only starting to study now, it is so hard to stay focused and motivated. What course are you hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question! Would it be realistic to expect over 400 if I start doing 4 or 5 hours a day from now on? I got 310 in the mocks from night before study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question! Would it be realistic to expect over 400 if I start doing 4 or 5 hours a day from now on? I got 310 in the mocks from night before study.

Obviously it depends on you, your commitment, your memory and how you do in June. I think it's realistic and achievable! I got 350, looking for about 400 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

If its solid, concentrated study I shouldn't see why not :) if you spend those hours dossing though you'll get nowhere! Do you do HL Maths coeur?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Anything is possible if you put the work in

That's same as me I got around that in the mocks and I'm trying to attain 550+ in the real thing, only starting to study now, it is so hard to stay focused and motivated. What course are you hoping to do?

Glad to know there is someone else in the same boat!! Would love to do medicine, hpat results out next week though and I know well it won't be good... just did not go well on the day :( If I did get over 550 I would probably repeat hpat.. if not hoping to get physio! What about you?

Advertisement