Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesight? NAS? Help needed.

Options
  • 14-04-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

At the minute I'm wating for the HSE to hire paramedics again. I've read the books, talked to the people, visited the stations, done the EMT and spent a small fortune on lessons for a C class license(test forthcoming). Its what I want to do.

I've neglected one small thing. And its only dawned on me now. My eyesight is crap. Visual accuity in my eyes are L: 6/60 R:6/54. Corrected its better then 6/6.

This now has me quite worried. Is there an eyesight requirement? I cannot seem to find a concrete yes or no on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

AFAIK, if your eyesight is ok to drive, you should be good. Ring them to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swirly Whirly

AFAIK, if your eyesight is ok to drive, you should be good. Ring them to be sure

Ring who? NASC? HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Contact the HSE national recruitment office in Manorhamilton.
    Phone 071 982 0539 or 071 9820487.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Should it not be the D1 license.

C class is for rigid / trucks.

Turner wrote: »
    Should it not be the D1 license.

C class is for rigid / trucks.

C1 licence (or C) I think the D1 can now be obtained once you've trained but it's no longer an entry requirement. The C1 and C class covers the CEN compliant ambulances as they weigh in over 3.5 tonne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bang Bang wrote: »
    C1 licence (or C) I think the D1 can now be obtained once you've trained but it's no longer an entry requirement. The C1 and C class covers the CEN compliant ambulances as they weigh in over 3.5 tonne.

Yep, thats my understanding of it.

Once you have the C your automatically entitled to the C1. You then have to get the D1 for the old type ambos before you graduate. They made a mess of it the last time they hired as they hired someone that was too young to get the D1 by the time they graduated. Not too sure what happened after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 troubledagain

Posted in different thread but perhaps this is the correct one. Does it matter if you are colourblind to become an EMT/Paramedic? No problem with driving licence or vision in general

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swirly Whirly

I rang the National Recruitment Office and they contacted occupational health on my behalf. They said that once my vision was good as I said it was (corrected with glasses) that I would be fine. She said that she could not remember anyone being refused on the grounds of eyesight.

@troubledagain, I would contact them yourself, my query was really on acuity rather then colour vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

colourblind is a problem as cardiac monitor leads ara red yellow green (black if lifepack lead 4)

12 lead are numbered.

It's a problem alright but do they check/test for colourblindness?

• Advertisement

rahin man wrote: »
    colourblind is a problem as cardiac monitor leads ara red yellow green (black if lifepack lead 4)

12 lead are numbered.

It's a problem alright but do the check/test for colourblindness??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

colourblind would be part of a standard medical. you generally have a medical before they appoint you. i would be getting a definitve answer on when the medical takes place though. i.e pre or post job offer...

12 lead are numbered.

The four limb leads are also indicated by either 'R' 'F' 'L' 'N' or 'RA' 'LA' 'LL' 'RL' so being colour blind is not a problem when doing an ECG.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Once you have vision good enough for the driving licence then that's all that's required. Being colour blind does not affect your ability to perform ECG monitoring, administer medications etc.

colourblind would be part of a standard medical. you generally have a medical before they appoint you. i would be getting a definitve answer on when the medical takes place though. i.e pre or post job offer...

Thanks for reply, will check with them also.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    The four limb leads are also indicated by either 'R' 'F' 'L' 'N' or 'RA' 'LA' 'LL' 'RL' so being colour blind is not a problem when doing an ECG.

That sounds encouraging. Thanks

coolmoose wrote: »
    Once you have vision good enough for the driving licence then that's all that's required. Being colour blind does not affect your ability to perform ECG monitoring, administer medications etc.

All this info sounds good, will check with hse to be sure, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi coolmoose.

Those that got offered emt jobs had to get a eye right report with an added part for colour blindness. So I take it from that that there looking for you to pass it .

adam88 wrote: »
    Hi coolmoose.

Those that got offered emt jobs had to get a eye right report with an added part for colour blindness. So I take it from that that there looking for you to pass it .

That's also required for the driving licence application for C and D class vehicles, so it's the same standard.

adam88 wrote: »
    Hi coolmoose.

That's also required for the driving licence application for C and D class vehicles, so it's the same standard.

I can't remember doing that for my c and d licence

• Advertisement

You need an eyesight report as part of the medical to get the learner permit, so you must have done it? Form D502 - Eyesight Report. Form D501 Medical Report must be completed for C/D category vehicles also.

You need an eyesight report as part of the medical to get the learner permit, so you must have done it? Form D502 - Eyesight Report. Form D501 Medical Report must be completed for C/D category vehicles also.
    No I remember doing my eyesight test for those categories but can't remember doing the colour vision/blindness test

All I remember is having a colour blind test done as part of the eyesight test when applying for the Provisional Licence.

Yeah think I should be ok, have never had any prob with driving licences. Thanks for imput

Advertisement