Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ry Station, Ardsollus, Doora, Clara: Old Railway Station ??

Options
  • 14-04-2012 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all, trying to find out if the old Railway Station or Signal Box listed in the 1901 Census as Ry (Railway) Station, Ardsollus, Doora, Clare, still exists?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The station where it is now wouldn't be too far from Doora, the "freight station" is even closer, that could be what it's referencing, a lot of boundaries of parishes/towns have changed a lot since 1901.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thanks Clareman. GGGFather was Station Master there as listed in 1901 Census.

I'm presuming the line and railway stations are now well modernised.

His son also worked got GS&WR a bit further up the line in Galway. The old signal box he would have manned is there still, but I'm sure a lot has chaged since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I presume you have seen these photographs. It's very near the Clare Inn hotel

Station Picture

Station Picture 2

And this bit of wiki info, Wikipedia

The station is inbetween the old Ballycar (near Newmarket On Fergus) and old Clarecastle station. The station is now a house I think.

I hadn't seen them Carazy, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

On Google Maps enter these co-ordinates 52.805375,-8.887532
    On street view you will see the train track pass over the road and to the house with the tractor parked outside. This house I would be confident in it being the old Ardsollus Station.

34g9ht2.jpg

Clare Library is a great site for this kind of thing 'Yeah Yeah Yeah' Stationmaster 1893

Carazy.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Carazy, there he is in Guys Directory 1893, GGGr F Station Master and his son GGrF Post master, later to be Station Master in Pollaturick Co Galway.

And that Google maps is awesome..thanks : )

And just out of shot on google maps is an old Post Box encased in the stone wall by gates..

In 1893, GG G'Fs son was Post Master ...I'm guessing some connection...

Amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

That picture above from Google maps is the old station, and yes it is a residential property now. However, there is a house across the road from it, run down small cottage, which technically would also be in ardsolus, and I heard when I was younger that the station masters did not always live in the station, and that that cottage was sometimes used instead by the station master to live in. I don't know how much truth is in that to be honest though.

Thanks Davy, thats great info, I had noticed that house earlier, and was guessing that it might well have been the other property...

Edit: Just checked, the dwelling house is listed as having "2 Waiting Rooms", so I'd be pretty sure the photo (Old Statio) is where he resided.

Still a bit of a conundrum, there are only 3 house listed in the Townland of Ardsollus census 1901 , all with "exactly 3 windows in the front of the house".

The abandoned stone cottage has 2 windows...wondering wether it wasnt lived in at the time 1901 (IMO unlikely) or whether it was technically in another district, which I doubt, or maybe it wasnt built? Or maybe a door was considered a window, which I doubt....head scratcher.... : )

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Well I do know that when you pass under the bridge on the way towards the Clare Inn, heading away from Quin, that you enter Castlefergus as opposed to Ardsolus. Whether the small cottage technically falls into Castlefergus or Ardsolus, I am unsure I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Davyhal wrote: »
    Well I do know that when you pass under the bridge on the way towards the Clare Inn, heading away from Quin, that you enter Castlefergus as opposed to Ardsolus. Whether the small cottage technically falls into Castlefergus or Ardsolus, I am unsure I'm afraid.

Ah that might be it, and aagin great piece of local info. I'll do some digging into the Castlefergus area census.

Thanks Davy

Advertisement