Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric picnic- reasonable cost/price please!

Options
  • 14-04-2012 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi, we would appreciate some advice please. My husband and i plan to attend Electric Picnic and have priced some campervans - 2 berth for a week to 5 nights.
    We are in our 30's, no kids, just want tohear the music over the weekend!As there is only the 2 of us going , we just want a relaxing/freedom to relax/our own space over the 3 nights- we are shocked that the quotes we got are around the 1,000e mark....
    Would this be about right??? Any offers or suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Campervans are not cheap to rent out. One of the reasons I built my own one, and one of the reasons most of us buy them instead.

For a festival weekend it does sound about right though.

You could always try Kevin at www.iwmotorhomes.ie

or www.pathoranmotors.ie for prices on rental

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Hey lennyloulou,

I did a quick check on the Lazy Days site and hire for 5 days comes in at €650 http://www.lazydays.ie/rates-booking.html.

Cheers,
    Dibble.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Thanks to both of you, delighted for that info... will do my research now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 detour.camper

Hi lennyloulou

Im not surprised that you are getting some quotes over €1,000, as some companies introduce a minimum hire period of 7 days over the electric picnic weekend.
    A campervan is the best way to experience the electric picnic and renting one gives you the benefit without the expense of owning one.

Prices with us for the electric picnic weekend (4 days) start at €500 for a 2 berth campervan. http://www.detour.ie/campervans/

cheers
    Tomas
    www.detour.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi lenny.

I rent mine out every year. This is my camper.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2954920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi lenny.

You know you're insurance doesn't cover anything for hire or reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

Hi Lenny, have you considered the boutique camping area as an alternative? Could work out cheaper and less hassle for you than the camper van idea.

You know you're insurance doesn't cover anything for hire or reward.

I know what my insurance covers thanks very much for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Slightly OT but I've done the picnic with and without the camper.
    I'd recommend just tenting it.
    Pay a few quid for a decent quality tent stay in the quiet camp area and you'll be better off.
    The year we brought the camper they were towing/dragging the campers in to the camper area with tractors.. The place was a mess..no space to put out awnings..you were so close to the next campervans opening a window blind was a privacy issue!!!
    And then there was the worry the vanight be vandalised(it wasn't nor did I see any vandalised) and the worry about actually being able to drive out of there without getting bogged down.
    Just my opinion but having done both and owning a camper it's what I'd do..,good airbed and a pack of baby wipes is all the comfort u need...and a wheelbarrow to get it in and out without straining yourself too much!!!
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Have you purchased a campervan ticket? They're normally quick to sell out.

• Advertisement

I rent mine with the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Slightly OT but I've done the picnic with and without the camper.
    I'd recommend just tenting it.
    Pay a few quid for a decent quality tent stay in the quiet camp area and you'll be better off.
    The year we brought the camper they were towing/dragging the campers in to the camper area with tractors.. The place was a mess..no space to put out awnings..you were so close to the next campervans opening a window blind was a privacy issue!!!
    And then there was the worry the vanight be vandalised(it wasn't nor did I see any vandalised) and the worry about actually being able to drive out of there without getting bogged down.
    Just my opinion but having done both and owning a camper it's what I'd do..,good airbed and a pack of baby wipes is all the comfort u need...and a wheelbarrow to get it in and out without straining yourself too much!!!
    Marty.

You must've picked a bad year to bring the camper Marty. We've been to 4 or 5 in the camper and wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. Never had to be towed in or out. Never seen anything being vandalised. And I definately wouldn't be giving up my creature comforts for a tent, even in the quiet area. The only drawback is where they've put the campervan field in recent years, way out on the edge of the site.

Everytime I walk by the campsites I thank my lucky stars i'm not staying in them. 15 years ago maybe, but not now.

Anyway, each to their own. Just wanted to give the other view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Was a crap year alright that one!!
    2009 or 10..the one with the crazy rain...i think we were 5 hours queuing in the camper to get in.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Swanner wrote: »
    You must've picked a bad year to bring the camper Marty. We've been to 4 or 5 in the camper and wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. Never had to be towed in or out. Never seen anything being vandalised. And I definately wouldn't be giving up my creature comforts for a tent, even in the quiet area. The only drawback is where they've put the campervan field in recent years, way out on the edge of the site.

Everytime I walk by the campsites I thank my lucky stars i'm not staying in them. 15 years ago maybe, but not now.

Anyway, each to their own. Just wanted to give the other view.

My memory of the campsight is this; the horrid sweaty, ****ty smell. I would not do it without a camper to be honest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Was a crap year alright that one!!
    2009 or 10..the one with the crazy rain...i think we were 5 hours queuing in the camper to get in.
    Marty.

The was one of the years we missed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi lenny.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: because of people like you renting your camper out when it clearly states on your premium that you cant,drive the cost up for the busines who rent them out and do it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

Back to camping, does anybody think it's worth the extra 100 quid or so each to go with pink moon camping company on EP website? Ready made tent, air mattress etc and access to showers, toilets. Or is it better to just go with one of the quieter camping areas. Too long in the tooth for messiness of normal camping. Has anyone used that company before? Cheers.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: because of people like you renting your camper out when it clearly states on your premium that you cant,drive the cost up for the busines who rent them out and do it the right way.

Emmm think you may need to take a chill pill there lad. Who says I have normal private insurance? As obviously I don't if the camper has a garage. Think before you speak my good man

Advertisement