Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new veneers look "big"

Options
  • 14-04-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

My top front 6 teeth were gappy and had a couple of chips so I went for veneers and a crown rather than spending 2 years in bracers (im far too old to be wearing bracers!) I think my front teeth in particular were a bit "small" as they had been wore down at the front due to my "bite" and wear on them from the bottom teeth (according to a differnet dentist).

Anyways - everyone says they look great, but my personal feeling is that the front two look too "big". perhaps this is just because before I had small teeth and a gap, but I notice it most when I'm not smiling and my mouth is just slightly open (which is kinda my default position) - I can see the bottom of my front teeth and its only been 2 days but it makes me feel a bit buggsy.

I'm due to return to dentist in two weeks for adjustments - should I be requesting that he perhaps take a millimetre off the front two teeth (can that be done with veneers??)?? Or is it just because my teeth were small before and I will get used to it?

Let the mockery commence!

oldteeth.jpg

newteeth2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think you should give yourself some time (a few months?) to get used to the new look/feel before deciding anything.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, I had gaps between my front teeth for years that I just never bothered getting fixed. had them sorted out last week and they just look so... odd. Definitely look bigger and feels kinda funny too but it's just something I (and you :) ) will have to get used to

plus it'll likely be cheaper in a few months time to get them ground down if you're still iffy about them than it would be to get entire new veneers put on because you had them ground down now and realise they were fine they way they originally were

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Esel wrote: »
    I think you should give yourself some time (a few months?) to get used to the new look/feel before deciding anything.

Agreed, I'm sure one of the dentists will give a technical view but after having the teeth you had for so long anything put in is going to look big.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

As a general rule of thumb, the tips of the upper central incisors should be at the same level as the canine teeth. If you grind these teeth so your 6 front teeth are all the same length, if can look very ageing (as it mimics the effect of tooth wear, if you're in your 60's fine but not natural if you're in your 20's or 30's).
    The discrepancy between the upper left central incisor and the upper right central incisor would be more of an issue for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

thanks for the comments and the guidance towards prudence - much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

They look reasonably proportional to me from what I can see, it always takes time to get used to increased length, And no its not a good idea to adjust much off a veneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

where u get them done and was it costly? i think they look cool man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

It cost just shy of €5k - got them done in Ireland in a well known chain (don't know the protocols here on naming companies)!

Advertisement