Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic tank keeps filling

Options
  • 13-04-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

The tank keeps filling but the water level is staying the same, normal level. Does that mean there is something drawing water or a leak? I have checked everything I can think of but everything seems normal. Where can the water be going?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Water is going out through your overflow. Are you sure you dont have a faulty ballcock....Have you checked the toilets? They might have internal overflows and its going into pan....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

leak in the central heating system maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

thanks for the replies.
    Could it be the central heating. I have noticed that some of the rads don't heat up. Would that suggest a leak in the system. How can I check that? where could the water be going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Do a simple test.
    Turn off the water and monitor the tank for level loss.
    Then run the heating and see what happens.

To be honest I'd say it's a faulty ballcock. It can sound as if it's running loads but see little water come out. Because the overflow is above the natural level in the tank it would take a while to fill to overflow, toilets and sinks would probably stop it ever overflowing.

You'll get a replacement ballcock body for about €10, change it and be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CivilEng

Hi, I had the same problem a few months ago i.e. the water in the tank kept filling but there was no water use. I contacted a leak detection company who initially advised me to tie up ballcock to see if the level of water kept dropping. It did! They then came back and found a leak underground near one of our radiators. Aqualeak where their name, found them good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Hi there. My upstairs toilet is filled from the tank in the attic. The toilet won't stop filling. I've tried adjusting the float but it keeps on filling. Last year there were weird noises coming from the attic tank and the cold water downstairs was sporadic for a time. Does this sound like a problem with the attic tank or the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi there. My upstairs toilet is filled from the tank in the attic. The toilet won't stop filling. I've tried adjusting the float but it keeps on filling. Last year there were weird noises coming from the attic tank and the cold water downstairs was sporadic for a time. Does this sound like a problem with the attic tank or the toilet?

The problem is definitely with the toilet

You sure Mr Sleeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You sure Mr Sleeper?

If the toilet was working correctly then it would stop filling no matter what goes on in the attic.

There's another thread in the plumbing forum today with the same problem as yours. You might get some tips from it. I can't post a link on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If your toilet keeps on filling then there must be water constantly running down the inside of the bowl. sound like a faulty stopcock valve ( the little valve that the arm of the float is attached to). A replacement one of these is a couple of euro.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

Advertisement