Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BJJ Dublin City centre

• 13-04-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am moving up to Dublin for work and living in the IFSC and I am looking at getting back into BJJ in the evenings.

Would be looking at beginners classes and getting a Gi also. Where would be the nearest in the city centre to get good classes.

*Just to note I have no car just public transport or walking distance.

Much appreciated.

Odats

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Hey there!

SBG City Centre is just by st. stevens green, on exchequer st.

There are Beginner classes, Advanced and mixed Classes throughout the week.

Head BJJ coach is SBG Brown Belt Arek Sternalski.

www.sbgireland.com

I coach and train there, Excellent facilities, showers, sauna, Large mat space and great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

da-bres wrote: »
    Hey there!

SBG City Centre is just by st. stevens green, on exchequer st.

There are Beginner classes, Advanced and mixed Classes throughout the week.

Head BJJ coach is SBG Brown Belt Arek Sternalski.

www.sbgireland.com

I coach and train there, Excellent facilities, showers, sauna, Large mat space and great atmosphere.

+1.

would come with my recommendation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Thanks for the info da bres but I just looked at the timetable on the website and the times don't suit my working hours as I finish at 5.30pm and wouldn't make the beginner classes.

Is there another place near the city centre/IFSC area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wild geese is just across the bridge from the IFSC

www.wildgeesma.com

Cheers for that it is next to CA house so I know where it is being a member of Chartered Accountants Ireland and the classes suit me fine.

AFAIK this is Morcegao Sapo Team and are these run by them or by Wilde Geese themselves.

• Advertisement

Right across the side lane from CA house, you can see the mats from the canteen. It is/was two Brazillian lads from team sapo, both brown belts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Wow, happy coincidence. Best of luck, in the gym you probably already train in.

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Eh? he already trains there?

Just to clarify it is not a coincidence. The gym before I used to train in was Waterford MMA/Waterford Muay Thai until I went abroad for my job. As in my OP I am moving to Dublin for work and just want to get back into BJJ and was looking for a gym that was close enough to where I will be living and class times suit my work schedule.
    If there is something I don't know about this crowd give us a pm. I just want to get back training that is all and I am not trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 ifellover

Does any know what times the Morcegao Jiu Jitsu classes are? Do the classes take place in Raw fitness gym? How much are the classes? Its very hard to get info off their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

ifellover wrote: »
    Does any know what times the Morcegao Jiu Jitsu classes are? Do the classes take place in Raw fitness gym? How much are the classes? Its very hard to get info off their website

I'm afraid we can't give you any info because one of Ireland's top grapplers will accuse us of faking the conversation to advertise the club. Then a couple of his buddies will come rushing in with the thanks.
    However there is a great club on the long mile road and city centre. You will find plenty of info about them on this website and no accusations of advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

not really the city center but Kyuzo is only a bus ride away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

If you'd like to check out a club a little bit fuirther a field we are beside Northside Shopping Centre only a short bus ride away. Here is our website

http://www.defendu.ie/brazilian-jiujitsu

and as this is bring a friend for free Month if you give me a PM I will arrange a few free classes so you can check the place out before you decide if you would like to keep training with us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

peteclarke wrote: »
    I'm afraid we can't give you any info because one of Ireland's top grapplers will accuse us of faking the conversation to advertise the club. Then a couple of his buddies will come rushing in with the thanks.
    However there is a great club on the long mile road and city centre. You will find plenty of info about them on this website and no accusations of advertising.

I think you need to drink less coffee.

The joke of Irish bjj strikes again. Pm me if you want to give me advice as the good people on this thread are not interested in your wise cracks.
    Tom made an accusation which you seconded while people promote your club on here all the time.
    Think about that instead of your rubbish jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

The joke of Irish bjj strikes again. Pm me if you want to give me advice as the good people on this thread are not interested in your wise cracks.
    Tom made an accusation which you seconded while people promote your club on here all the time.

Seriously what is your problem mate, you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about a lot of BJJ guys, well I thought it was just me and other SBG posters, but Barry now too? and the "Joke of Irish BJJ".

Why are you some sort of one man anti-BJJ poster crusader here?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

who are you again?

Tom plainly made a joke, and I appreciate wit, so I thanked his post. People actually don't promote my club on here. My club just so happens to be very active in BJJ through organising tournaments, seminars etc. so people have quite a bit to talk about as these are a part of the BJJ scene. Same way people talk a lot about Ryano, SBG, Ribeiro, Balance etc. They have events, victories, seminars, big tournament entries to discuss and to promote. You know, nice things. Good stuff about the sport we like to train and enjoy.

Maybe think about typing something positive Ciaran. Life is good, something to enjoy. If the internet is annoying you so much, turn it off. There's a little button on your computer that can do that for you. Or maybe try this, instead of being so bitter about SBG, or me, or whoever grinds your gears, talk positively about your own club and the things it's doing. Who knows, I might even slip you a little "thanks" from time to time.

It's really nice that you think so much of me as to give me a moniker, and you've now dedicated not one but two posts on boards.ie just to me. I feel flattered that I occupy so much of your thoughts. I must be doing something right.

Barry

Seriously what is your problem mate, you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about a lot of BJJ guys, well I thought it was just me and other SBG posters, but Barry now too? and the "Joke of Irish BJJ".

Why are you some sort of one man anti-BJJ poster crusader here?

I dont think Im the one with the problem. I do have a bee in my bonnet with some of the posters but certainly not with bjj. I have only ever taken issue with posts not the sport.
    I have already told you in a post that I respected sbg and have also posted that they are clearly the best fight team in the coutry.
    I think Barry is responsible for some of the rudest posts on this website and I have a problem with rudeness.

Now lets get back to the whole issue here that was being discussed before being taken off topic.
    Somebody made a remark that insinuated this thread was a set up to advertise a certain club. I took issue with that because those remarks are not made when info is provided about other clubs.
    Simple as that. Doesnt mean I have anything else against hard working, good bjj practictioners and their club. It just means I think there should be a consistancy in posting.

Chill out man, it was a joke. The OP did sound a bit like he was doing an infomercial (no offence OP :)).
    Even if he was a member of your club, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It's hardly a crime against humanity and a man's got to eat.

However, that's a pretty disrespectful comment you made to Barry, who unless I'm way out of the loop here, has done a lot more for the sport in the country than you have. Maybe I'm just taking you up wrong, as you did me, but in any case I reckon you should withdraw that. Then we can all move on in a spirit of fraternity and what have you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Chill out man, it was a joke. The OP did sound a bit like he was doing an infomercial (no offence OP :)).
    Even if he was a member of your club, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It's hardly a crime against humanity and a man's got to eat.

However, that's a pretty disrespectful comment you made to Barry, who unless I'm way out of the loop here, has done a lot more for the sport in the country than you have. Maybe I'm just taking you up wrong, as you did me, but in any case I reckon you should withdraw that. Then we can all move on in a spirit of fraternity and what have you.

I find you to usually be the voice of reason on boards, so I had never wanted to argue with you. I just find when you are good at bjj you get thanked for everything on here, regardless of what you write. I decided in the name of consistancy to call you up. No big deal.

Youre right. I need to chill out.
    However, cant apologise to a guy who gives out about the cost of a round robin sub wrestling competition and charges more for a straight knock out one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I find you to usually be the voice of reason on boards, so I had never wanted to argue with you. I just find when you are good at bjj you get thanked for everything on here, regardless of what you write. I decided in the name of consistancy to call you up. No big deal.

However, cant apologise to a guy who gives out about the cost of a round robin sub wrestling competition and charges more for a straight knock out one.

I hear Barry's so well connected that he gets the mats, venue, referees, support staff and lighting etc for free.

He then charges an over the top amount to continue funding his Bas Rutten facial reconstruction surgery.

Quite the plan. Quite. The. Plan.

And I'm not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Its times like this I wish they'd added a rule to the forum charter that all disputes between posters should be settled by trial by combat...
    Or maybe a race around the world. The Queen herself shall drop the checkered flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭underachieved

not trying to get involved in anything here, but can anyone help me out with prices for bjj clubs in the south dublin/city centre area?? am a beginner on a budget.

I don't think you should lay off the caffeine anymore, I think you should lay off the meth.

not trying to get involved in anything here, but can anyone help me out with prices for bjj clubs in the south dublin/city centre area?? am a beginner on a budget.

Expect to pay anything from €50 per month to €80+. Most clubs will give you a free trial however so have a look see at several to see how much value you're getting. eg. a club might be cheaper but if they train less often then it might be of less value to you.

Overall I think the cost of training is quite reasonable in Ireland considering all clubs are private enterprises, receive no funding, grants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭underachieved

Expect to pay anything from €50 per month to €80+. Most clubs will give you a free trial however so have a look see at several to see how much value you're getting. eg. a club might be cheaper but if they train less often then it might be of less value to you.

Overall I think the cost of training is quite reasonable in Ireland considering all clubs are private enterprises, receive no funding, grants etc.

Thanks for the reply, gives me a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Does the diference between 50 to 80+ euros a month not seem massive to anyone else. Now I understand that in most cases you get what you pay for and im all for that but to someone just starting out or a casual bjj player or even a once or twice a week mma guty the diference of €420 a year not inculding seminars and equipment is alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Does the diference between 50 to 80+ euros a month not seem massive to anyone else. Now I understand that in most cases you get what you pay for and im all for that but to someone just starting out or a casual bjj player or even a once or twice a week mma guty the diference of €420 a year not inculding seminars and equipment is alot.

Even the most casual people would train twice a week.

Most BJJ gyms have flexible schedules so making more than two classes a week is easy, and is pretty necessary if you want to be any good.

Looking at the extremes end of the pricing scale:
    E50 per month
    Once a week E11.54 per class
    Twice a week E5.77 per class
    Thrice a week E3.85 per class
    Fourice a week E2.88 per class

E80 per month
    Once a week E18.46 per class
    Twice a week E9.23 per class
    Thrice a week E6.15 per class
    Fourice a week E4.62 per class

To get your monies worth, train more!

Where are you getting the €420 from? €30 extra * 12months = €360 no?

Anyway I take your point but I think it's better to break it down as Spideog did above.

Where are you getting the €420 from? €30 extra * 12months = €360 no?

Anyway I take your point but I think it's better to break it down as Spideog did above.

Sorry too many blows to the head. ;-)

I dont think there are too many head coaches raking it in and im sure many clubs are just treadding water but it does make you wonder how one place can charge 50 and an other charge 80.

Location and facilities can be a big factor in that, some sections of the city are definitely more expensive to rent a decent sized place in.

Sorry too many blows to the head. ;-)

I dont think there are too many head coaches raking it in and im sure many clubs are just treadding water but it does make you wonder how one place can charge 50 and an other charge 80.

Rent, rates (the real killer!), number of coaches, opening hours. Plus a lot of places will have shelled out for more equipment- better mats, showers, dressing rooms, bags and so on and they all have to be paid off, maintained.

We're actually right in the middle of that price bracket at €65 which I think is really good considering the facility we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

i never get these discussions about price. some charge 50, others 80...so what?? so what if one charges 10 and another 150? to me its very simple. you are either motivated by price or by quality.

so if you are motivated by wanting the cheapest....then check out the nearest couple of clubs and go with the cheapest. simples.
    if you are motivated by quality then do some research. see which gyms are consistently winning on a national and international scene. if you are motivated by quality you're probably pretty serious about wanting to get 'good'. so you'll make the 'sacrifices' required to be able to afford 15-20e per week to train somewhere with a track record of producing multiple BJJ and pro and amateur mma champions.

personally if somebody was just motivated by wanting to train in the 'cheapest' place i'd rather they didnt come to my place. wasting both our times. there's a beginner opening up an mma gym every other week it seems, you'd be better suited with them :)

• Advertisement

I think that sort of thinking becomes more of a factor when people are more experienced. Alot of beginners don't know how to judge the quality of training, and though there are resources that will tell them more about the quality of a gym, beginners may not even know where to look.
    Price, location and how well they get along with the people training there stand out more to beginners
    IMO.

I think that sort of thinking becomes more of a factor when people are more experienced. Alot of beginners don't know how to judge the quality of training, and though there are resources that will tell them more about the quality of a gym, beginners may not even know where to look.
    Price, location and how well they get along with the people training there stand out more to beginners
    IMO.

Wonder why the most successful gyms, are also the ones getting the most beginners. Must be coincidence.

I think that sort of thinking becomes more of a factor when people are more experienced.

it mattered to me from the start :) just i had to go to the states/uk
    Alot of beginners don't know how to judge the quality of training, and though there are resources that will tell them more about the quality of a gym, beginners may not even know where to look.

google? i wanted to try rugby a few years ago. took a few clicks online for me to find a good local team that were getting good results. was pretty simple.
    IMO.

you are right. sometimes bugs me...but you are right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

For me saving €30 a month going for the cheaper option is a false economy when it comes to something like BJJ where so much time and quality training has to be put in both by the student and the coach in order to reach a competitive standard. Id hate to train for 3 or 4 years in a poor quality gym only to find out that I have inferior technique to somebody training in the high end gym for 1.5-2 years. If your serious about training you'll make the necessary sacrifices. €80 a month isnt a prohibitive price IMO. Most people who complain about gym prices would drink €80 in a night on the town.

Cheap is as cheap does.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

I think the standard of teaching in the main clubs is pretty high and pretty similar. There is a disparity which comes from the level of training partners available though. Obviously the longer established clubs have the most experienced members, but i expect that this will reduce over time as experience grows.

• Advertisement

First let me state that i am very happy at my current club and being happy with your coach and team is worth any extra. My point was about casual members and or beginers as i get my value.

To say that because something is cheaper it is therefore inferior is a mistake imo. I dont want to name clubs but one of the clubs at the 50 euro end was voted mma club of the year last year so i think theres a difference in something being cheap and being good value.

To say that because something is cheaper it is therefore inferior is a mistake imo.

did anyone say that?
    I dont want to name clubs but one of the clubs at the 50 euro end was voted mma club of the year last year so i think theres a difference in something being cheap and being good value.

the gym you are referring may be excellent but to cite winning an 'award' based on how many people you could get to click a link is not really a sign of that. i won a few of them, dont mean anything unless you've the results to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

I don't know if i should start a new thread as the following question is totally off topic for this one...

Does anyone know of any gyms between the liffey and rathmines area that does BJJ and that you don't have to wear a GI to train in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

BFDCH. wrote: »
    I don't know if i should start a new thread as the following question is totally off topic for this one...

Does anyone know of any gyms between the liffey and rathmines area that does BJJ and that you don't have to wear a GI to train in?

Sbg city centre, most clubs have a no gi night or two

Advertisement