Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70w SON fittiting with no Capacitor?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭

My husband got me to buy a SON fitting from Hanna Electrical up in Enniskillen becuase it was really cheap. When I got home he opened it up and comes complete with bulb (with internal ignitor in the bulb) a normal magnetic ballast (not electronic one) but he said there was no Capacitor in it and looked like there didnt look like any place/room inside for one.

He has just wired it up outside and turned it on and he was saying that he is not happy at how long it took to light, like it was struggling, the ballast was buzzing on and off like cycling and ticking it did eventually strike and then ramp up to its normal orange colour but it was cycling on and off for what seem like a good 20seconds or so before it finally striked. He has asked me to ask on here could that damage/burn out the ballast in time?

- if it had a capacitor in the fitting would it strike properly? or could it be a problem with the bulb itself or the internal ignitor inside the bulb?

Also he said there are tapping on the Ballast for 240v and 230v and he has just left it on the 240v settings as it come from the shop should that be OK or will he need to put it on the 230v tapping?

Thanks for any helpful advice (hopefully from electrician or someone with electrical knowlege ;) )
    the fitting is this one a Ansell Orion Ecco Polycarbonate Floodlight

http://www.anselluk.com/products/ce_62_Orion+Ecco/it_598_Orion+Ecco+Polycarbonate+Floodlight.htm

Thanks. Val.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I'm not familiar with the lamp itself, but 230V would be more appropriate for the Irish supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the tap accdÀesernd capacitor spuke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

M cebee wrote: »
    the tap accdÀesernd capacitor spuke

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

sounds like lamp not tap or capacitor
    bloody phone i selected the hungarian keyboard by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

in most son fitting the capacitor is fitted for correction of the power factor. the light fitting you have dosnt have a capacitor fitted because its a cheap low cost light fitting that fact that it dosnt have a capacitor fitted will not effect the way the lamp strikes or runs in any way .

the tap would be better connected to the 230v

as for taking 20sec for it to light......its about the right time for a 70 son

• Advertisement
Advertisement