Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No harm in adding them anyway. I'd spend the cash they cost on a 2500k instead of a 2500 though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Careful, this is the processor you want, not the other one. This one allows overclocking, the other one doesn't.

You could throw a third-party CPU cooler in there, would probably help. It's around €17 or so for the Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2, and that's about the minimum I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

I realized I probably won't overclock in the end so I just dropped down to the regular 1500, therefore opted out of cooling. Should I add it in anyway, or just fans, or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    I realized I probably won't overclock in the end so I just dropped down to the regular 1500, therefore opted out of cooling. Should I add it in anyway, or just fans, or both?

Get the 2500k anyway. You'll probably want to overclock in the future when you find out how easy it is.

I have the same case (Beta Version) and I didn't get any extra fans other than the ones that came in the case, runs fine everything is cool.
    I'd say go for a better CPU fan instead of the two extra case fans.

Get the 2500k anyway. You'll probably want to overclock in the future when you find out how easy it is.

I have the same case (Beta Version) and I didn't get any extra fans other than the ones that came in the case, runs fine everything is cool.
    I'd say go for a better CPU fan instead of the two extra case fans.

I know it's fairly easy, but I'd be so paranoid about the components or what I was doing wrong that I probably won't try for a good few years down the line, when I'd probably just get a new processor anyway.

If my build will run cool then there's no real need for the fans other than the "ooh.. pretty lights" factor, is there? I thought they'd help somewhat but I could be just deluding myself because I like pretty lights :pac:

• Advertisement

Seriously, for a tenner you'd be nuts not to go for it. You literally change two values in your BIOS, and you're running at 4.4GHz completely stable all the time. It's so easy it's criminal these days not to go for the unlocked chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Please please please please please change your mind and go for the 2500k, you will actually hate yourself for not getting it! Next time you feel the need for a cpu upgrade you can just overclock it. Like really you would be insane not to get the 2500k!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i am almost ready to send you that 10eu by post ffs... just get 2500k already... :rolleyes:

^ Yeah, that.

Coming from several people here, with a lot of experience, you'll kick yourself.

Okay okay okay I'll get it :pac:

So can anyone answer my other questions about fans and wireless?

• Advertisement

Something like http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42568&agid=271 for wireless. Quick question while I'm here, does two/three antennae really help that much over one?

Something like http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42568&agid=271 for wireless. Quick question while I'm here, does two/three antennae really help that much over one?

Ah that's what I had in there originally. For some reason I wasn't sure if those were the correct things for setting up wifi :o

What are the advantages of wifi though? I mean I can have a wired connection in the house also, so spending an extra 15 euro.. worth it?

Not at all. If you have wired, stick with it.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Not at all. If you have wired, stick with it.

Any advantages/distadvantages of wireless so? And I'm still lost on the fans issue, would it be better to have them and have something shiny and LED on my computer ('on' button won't have a light. It's not an issue, just a preference for lights :pac:) or a cooler, or nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

if your desktop can be wired into your modem there is absolutely no advantage of going wireless, it's actually going to be a disadvantage as your BB will slow down!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Okay okay okay I'll get it :pac:

So can anyone answer my other questions about fans and wireless?

Even if you don't OC you can still resell it for more :)
    also if you get a mobo with an overclock button on it would that help you out :D

Okay, sticking with a wired connection. So what about fans? Do I go with none, or two LED ones on the top (pulling air out), or just a cooler? I'm not sure where else I'd put fans..

Okay, sticking with a wired connection. So what about fans? Do I go with none, or two LED ones on the top (pulling air out), or just a cooler? I'm not sure where else I'd put fans..
    Get them if you want them, they're not strictly necessary but they will improve performance and look good :pac:

Get them if you want them, they're not strictly necessary but they will improve performance and look good :pac:

Looking good is a plus! Shiny LEDs :D do I need a cooler if I overclock and/or any more than 2 fans?

You'll need a CPU cooler, something like http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=52671&agid=669. No need for other fans though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement