Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkeny Tri - Oly

Options
  • 13-04-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Looking to do this as my first Olympic distance. I did a few sprint last year and will have done at least two sprints this year before it. Just wondering if anyone here has done it and is it an decent one for an olympic distance first timer ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

miller82 wrote: »
    Looking to do this as my first Olympic distance. I did a few sprint last year and will have done at least two sprints this year before it. Just wondering if anyone here has done it and is it an decent one for an olympic distance first timer ???

Yes, I think so. It was my first Olympic. Swim in the Nore is grand, the cycle is two very flat 20km loops. Run is fine too, 3 laps if I remember correctly, with a few hills in it. A few minor organisational issues last year (no loud speaker or P.A. at briefing) and started a bit late (real pet hate of mine). However the transition was a massive improvement on the previous year; compact enough and on grass. There are far trickier races out there, no doubt. Kilkenny is a nice city do a race in too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Basster wrote: »
    Yes, I think so. It was my first Olympic. Swim in the Nore is grand, the cycle is two very flat 20km loops. Run is fine too, 3 laps if I remember correctly, with a few hills in it. A few minor organisational issues last year (no loud speaker or P.A. at briefing) and started a bit late (real pet hate of mine). However the transition was a massive improvement on the previous year; compact enough and on grass. There are far trickier races out there, no doubt. Kilkenny is a nice city do a race in too IMO.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TriBarry

Did this one last year.....
    Good event for first Olympic. Swim is mainly down stream.....but cold at first!
    Long walk from transitioin, down steps from castle along river into town for start (bring a cheap pair of flip flops to leave at start or with someone, as I seen lots of glass etc. for this walk). Once you get out of the water its a tough trip back to transition up steps back to castle grounds for bike. Good bike course and nice run course passing transition and lots of spectators a few times.
    I thought the finishing area was a bit congested and lacked a bit of atmosphere for the numbers taking part.
    Not sure how accurate the distances were on any of the disciplines and my offficial times were not correct. All said, i will probably go again!

Perhaps somewhere like Athy would be a better first Olympic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Forgot about those steps! The previous year T2 added about 0.6km or so, it was very long.
    The times were wrong for a while (mine at least), but corrected within a few days. I quite like the finish! Exiting through the castle gates onto a public plaza! Athy would be very similiar in terms of difficulty, so I'd agree that would be another good one to do.

Advertisement