Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Nightmares in UPC Customer Service

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Oh, I know this is an old chestnut but Holy God am I losing the rag with UPC! :eek:

For more than 10 years (I kid you not!) I have found their (and their predecessors) customer service to be spectacularly, mind-numbingly, blood-pressure raisingly awful!

We've now ditched all UPC services but their broadband. Technically the broadband is great and there shouldn't be any issue. Except there is, oh boy there is. When it comes to the simple matter of billing, UPC seem incapable of issuing correctly what should be our simplest, most straightforward, utility bill: €25 per month for broadband. That's it. Easy peasy wouldn't you think??

Except they have not yet succeeded in issuing a correct bill since we went to broadband only (over a year ago). Every two months I have to engage in a rigmarole to correct the bill. And the next bill comes out completely arseways. It would be funny if it wasn't such an infuriating waste of my time.

Anyway, now that I've vented (and frankly that was me holding back), how can I get contact details for someone in UPC who is capable of resolving this matter once and for all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had multiple issues with UPC. The only way I found of dealing with them was writing to the CEO informing them I was not paying the bill until all outstanding issues were resolved. I don't have DDs or SOs for the express reason that the only language companies understand is money, and if they can dip into your account for their payment their incentive for dealing with a problem is very limited. Two days after I sent the letter by registered post (so they couldn't say they hadn't received it) I had a call from a manager who resolved the problem by the next day, waived the outstanding bill (when I told her I would not clear it as it was billing me for services I hadn't received) and got 80euro in credit off the next bill.

my two cents anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

coolaboola wrote: »
    Oh, I know this is an old chestnut but Holy God am I losing the rag with UPC! :eek:

For more than 10 years (I kid you not!) I have found their (and their predecessors) customer service to be spectacularly, mind-numbingly, blood-pressure raisingly awful!

We've now ditched all UPC services but their broadband. Technically the broadband is great and there shouldn't be any issue. Except there is, oh boy there is. When it comes to the simple matter of billing, UPC seem incapable of issuing correctly what should be our simplest, most straightforward, utility bill: €25 per month for broadband. That's it. Easy peasy wouldn't you think??

Except they have not yet succeeded in issuing a correct bill since we went to broadband only (over a year ago). Every two months I have to engage in a rigmarole to correct the bill. And the next bill comes out completely arseways. It would be funny if it wasn't such an infuriating waste of my time.

Anyway, now that I've vented (and frankly that was me holding back), how can I get contact details for someone in UPC who is capable of resolving this matter once and for all?

Do you pay by Direct Debit?
    If so, I have a solution that will ease your blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Thanks for your replies folks.

I've *long* since ceased paying UPC by direct debit or standing order! :)

Lazygal, I think I'm going to have to go for your solution.... do you know the name and address of the current CEO of UPC in Ireland?

Thanks for your replies folks.

I've *long* since ceased paying UPC by direct debit or standing order! :)

Lazygal, I think I'm going to have to go for your solution.... do you know the name and address of the current CEO of UPC in Ireland?

I just sent it to the head office address and put FAO CEO on it, kind of chanced my arm but it worked!
    UPC Ireland
    Head Office Bldg
    P2 East Point
    Business Pk 3
    Dublin 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Send in a formal complaint by EMAIL, search boards for "Upc" "Formal Complaint Procedure" using the ""

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Send in a formal complaint by EMAIL, search boards for "Upc" "Formal Complaint Procedure" using the ""

I sent a few emails, all headed with the formal complaint heading, and never heard a thing back. Its far too easy to ignore an email, at least a physical letter has to be opened and handled. I only got a response by dealing with them via snail mail.

Did you send them to the email address listed in the procedure document??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Did you send them to the email address listed in the procedure document??

Yes, more than once. I also was told by customer service on several occasions that as I had lodged a complaint this was on my file, only to have to repeat the issue during the next phone call (was told there was no record of my issue) I had to make because no one bothered to reply to my emails or return promised phone calls. I was dealing with them by phone/email for three weeks, but until I sent my letter I might as well have been talking to myself.

Well once you complain formally ( and get a complaint reference and acknowledgement) they have around 10-15 days to resolve. Then you go to Comreg if they fail to do so and let Comreg deal with them for failing to resolve a formal complaint. If they do not acknowledge you can go to Comreg sooner.

Do everything in writing, UPC customer care....inherited from Chorus :(.....is famously inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

They dont have Broadband for 25e you are probably on a 20meg line but you would also be charged a stand alone fee of 7.88 plus a non dd fee of 3euro

This is from their website

Get online with Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb from UPC for just €25.41 a month. Enjoy upload speeds of 2Mb.
    A standalone charge of €7.88 applies to all broadband packs not purchased with or added to our TV or Phone service.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I've kept everything in writing over the years, including formal requests to have a manager deal with the issues raised, kept email delivery and read receipts, etc. Still no resolution.

You're correct about the stand-alone charge but this was waived as part of a concession agreement that I have with UPC for equipment on my house (and yes, I've even threatened to tear down the equipment and call the Gardai on them for trespass when they didn't pay their concession payment). Even though they've repeatedly acknowledged in writing that the charge should not apply, it appears in every bill and I have to correct them every time.

It's so infuriating! Lazygal, I think a registered letter is called for. It would be nice to have a specific name but if it has to be FAO CEO to get a response then so be it. I think cc'ing COMREG on the letter is an idea too. I'm fed up of their ineptness.

Let this be a warning to anyone considering availing of UPC's services!!

In that case you take it down and wait for them to come out, then you sort it out in writing and let them put it up again! After around 10 years they can argue they need never take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Then thats is even worse customer service if you have THEIR equipment on YOUR property and they are still messing you about

Oooh, believe me, I have been tempted *many* times to take a hammer to their equipment for all the messing around I've endure.... At this stage it's a case of I can resist anything except temptation... if they don't sort things out soon, pass the hammer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Oooh, believe me, I have been tempted *many* times to take a hammer to their equipment for all the messing around I've endure.... At this stage it's a case of I can resist anything except temptation... if they don't sort things out soon, pass the hammer!!

Hammer is criminal damage. Unplug is best bet.

Inspired by your replies, I've just reported UPC to COMREG... stay tooned!

(Noted re hammer! I would want the equipment off the house though - no excuse for them to set foot on my property again! I'm not sure it's unpluggable but I'm sure it's removable in a civilised, non-damaging way. Which of course is what I'd do if it came to it... even if it's much less therapeutic!)

No hammering, disconnect and remove intact perhaps. You gave them a conditional wayleave and they are in breach of the wayleave for not applying your arranged discounts. They breached a contract and also wasted your time as well as took your money. You are entitled to compensation for your time as well.

Comreg will do nothing until you FORMALLY COMPLAIN and wait c.10 days for resolution. Search for UPC "Formal Complaint Procedure" on boards willya. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I had a similar billing issue which took three cycles to resolve. I engaged with them via twitter which certainly seemed to be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

I'm also having a lot of issues with them. When they first came into our area last year, I straight up ordered HD box, broadband, the phone, sports & movies packages. Box was due on a Friday & they called me to say they had to cancel the delivery cause the wrong box was being sent.

By Tuesday or whenever the couriers decide to sort it out I get the box. Soon after setting it up I realise that I don't have HD or a HD box. Ring them up straight away 20 minutes later they tell me oh yes you ordered HD we don't have HD in your area yet not sure when it will be installed?!? Two weeks later some sales guy calls to the door offering me a HD upgrade I'm absolutely shocked. Mixed into all this they tell me broadband isn't setup yet I'll have to wait a few weeks for that too. Ok grand broadband comes in a few weeks later I ring them up to connect it and they try and charge me a once off payment which should have been waived when I first signed up. I tear the face off the sales rep who eventually passes me to their manager who agrees to waive the fee.

Ok so now six months down the line so sick of the crappy Thomson box that doesn't work half the time, I ring up and complain and say I should have been given a HD box in the first place & they messed up my order. Luckily I get a nice lady on the phone who sees the original order and rightly agrees to send me a HD box free of charge, but that's not where it ends.

Wednesday new HD box is delivered I set it up (such a difference from the old box I might add), but none of the channels I should have are there, all the sports, all the movies and HD channels are access denied. I look at the letter and see a different address is on it so I ring up & after two hours over two days of phone calls they realise the courier guy gave me the wrong box (DPD couriers btw ) a tech-guy arranges to have a new box sent out to me next Tuesday. So no sports or movies this weekend what a joke. UPC are the worst organisation I have ever dealt with (imagine broadband a close second), I had Sky for years and never had even close to these level of problems, I may look into switching back.

Advertisement