Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Dentistry vs cost

Options
  • 13-04-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

Through years of neglect I am in a situation whereby I need extensive dental work. I had intended to go with my nearest "<snip>" as their prices seem far more reasonable. Then I spoke to a friend who put doubts in my mind, he said that he had researched it and that as usual you get what you pay for, for example the material <snip> and their like use in crowns is metal coated with porcelain, and after a few years this starts to show black near the gum line, while the more expensive dentists use all porcelain.

I know absolutely nothing about these matters and can't seem to find much info online either, does anybody know if this is true or just myth? I don't mind paying the extra if it's better quality work but until now I was under the impression that all dentists work would be pretty much standard.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry OP, no names allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

I think what you're talking about is 2 different types of crowns- porcelain fused to metal (PFM) or all ceramic crowns. I think nearly all dentists use both and different crowns are better than others in a variety of situations. PFM crowns that you mention though are very common and not just a cheap treatment practices by "cheaper" dentists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You will get what you pay for op. forget the material of the crown that is a clinical decision. The important thing are the dentist who prepares the tooth and takes the impression. And the lab that make the crown.

For instance you can get a lab to make a PRM crown from between 20-1000 euro, the 20 euro one is not fit for a dog and the 1000 euro one is a work of art. Best consider price but there are far more important variables, the dentist doing the job being the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for naming the outfit in question, wasn't thinking!

Advertisement