Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug problem in the kitchen

Options
  • 13-04-2012 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    I am hoping somebody will be able to help me identify the bugs in the attached photos please.
    I live in a second floor apartment and the bugs first appeared in the kitchen in the presses. I cleared everything out of the presses in the kitchen and bleached the kitchen from top to bottom. The bugs disappeared for a while but now there back again but in smaller quantity. Its really annoying because I cant keep anything in the presses now unless its closed or in a lunch box. I also noticed a few bugs in a drawer in the sitting room. We keep our house clean so I cant understand it. Are they some type of bug in wood? Please help!!!
    Many thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

i'm not 100 % sure because the pic is small,but it may be a powder post beetle

more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powderpost_beetle

i could be way off but its a possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amberapril

Thanks a mill. The front of the image on Wikipedia looks a bit like them. The bugs are fairly small. They are the same size as ants. Any ideas how to get rid of them?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If they're in the kitchen presses then my money is on Flour Beetles.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

Alun wrote: »
    If they're in the kitchen presses then my money is on Flour Beetles.

i reckon you're spot on ,sorry OP ,i think you can get rid of them by washing the presses out with dettol or bleach as you've done but also check any food products that have been in the press as they can be inside them or lay eggs in them ,if you spot anything throw out the product .a good thing to start doing is storing food products in sealed containers i.e lunch boxes ,jars etc and that will prevent a food source for them , that's my 2 cents on them anyway ,hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, they're very common and are a PITA to get rid of. Basically go through everything in the presses they may have gotten into ... flour, pasta, porridge oats, cereals, that kind of thing and chuck them out and then give everything a thorough clean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement