Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32" black diamond CRT fault

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

My mitsubishi black diamond CRT died, For the last couple months the picture was flickering on/off when I initially turn it on, A few taps on the side and it works fine after, Then last week the edges started to distort and the picture started to narrow in a little, then the other nite it just blacked out with a noise coming out of the back of it. Any ideas what could be wrong, The TV is 10yrs old and to be fair never gave trouble upto now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Difficult to say without seeing it but it certainly sounds like a power supply problem or possibly line (horizontal) output. A set that age, depending on usage, may have dried out electrolytic capacitors which could cause damage to other components. Or dry solder joints or even a blown Line Output Trafo. The fact that knocking it a few times restored it suggests to me it might be bad joints though that's only a guess.

Is there any sign of life at all ? For example a standby LED on the front or a rustling noise on switch on ? A ticking noise perhaps ?

A set that large will probably cost in the region of 100 euro to repair depending on what parts are required. A basic 32" LCD would set you back about 270 to 300 euro nowadays.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

There is no LED, but as soon as i press the on button there is a pulsing low volume noise

Is it coming from the speaker or from the rear of the set ? Pulsing usually means a supply rail is trying to raise but something is pulling it down as it does. Possibly caps but no way of telling without seeing it. Where are you based ?

Ken

I took off the cover it seems to be coming from the circuit board near the fuse

cork boy

• Advertisement

Impossible to diagnose accurately without hands on. Any number of things could be causing the problem. A local TV repair man should be able to give you an estimate for a small fee. Might be an opportune time to "upgrade" ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

there are working crt tvs being given away on adverts .ie for free

decision made sat morning, bought a new 40" sony, I'll probly dump the CRT, but if i had the room i'd like to take it apart and try to fix it, Thanks for your replies anyway.

What's the model number of the Blackdiamond ?

Ken

it's BDS2851WS,

• Advertisement
Advertisement