Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ship 20kg parcels to Australia

Options
  • 13-04-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have read the other threads and there is nothing recent on sending smallish parcels to Oz. I can only find information on shipping containers and much larger amounts.

Anyway a friend and I are going to Oz on a WHV with the hope of staying a second year if we can do regional work. We backback via south east asia and are travelling very lightly, therefore we will be without most of our stuff when we arrive in Oz. The parcels would contain clothes, handbags, shoes, ipods, phones, hairdryers, paper documents etc that we dont feel like dragging across asia. We were thinking about sending about 20kg each to Sydney. We already have an address there so we can send it before we depart for Asia.

I have been looking up website but I cant find alot of information on such small parcels, most companies I find are offering heavy freight. Does anyone have advice on this?

The An post website gives a quote of €135 for 20kg. However, I have just seen what they write about dimentional weight and it looks like we wouldnt get anywhere near 20kg of clothes posted due to the size of the box.

Also would there be fees from customs clearance in Australia that we would have to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have read the other threads and there is nothing recent on sending smallish parcels to Oz. I can only find information on shipping containers and much larger amounts.

Anyway a friend and I are going to Oz on a WHV with the hope of staying a second year if we can do regional work. We backback via south east asia and are travelling very lightly, therefore we will be without most of our stuff when we arrive in Oz. The parcels would contain clothes, handbags, shoes, ipods, phones, hairdryers, paper documents etc that we dont feel like dragging across asia. We were thinking about sending about 20kg each to Sydney. We already have an address there so we can send it before we depart for Asia.

I have been looking up website but I cant find alot of information on such small parcels, most companies I find are offering heavy freight. Does anyone have advice on this?

The An post website gives a quote of €135 for 20kg. However, I have just seen what they write about dimentional weight and it looks like we wouldnt get anywhere near 20kg of clothes posted due to the size of the box.

Also would there be fees from customs clearance in Australia that we would have to pay?

You can get part of a shipping container but you'd be waiting 1-3 months for the stuff!

An post was the cheapest by far for my stuff! I had over 20kgs so split it into 2 boxes! Paid about 110 for each box.

Your only other option is by international courier. so FedEx or Dhl or summit! They might be better if an post give you a mad dimensional price!

Ring around and ask them. I've no idea how any of them charge for dimensional. But DHL quoted me 300 for 30kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Second the An Post suggestion. Also with clothes if its the bulk rather than the weight you are bothered about you can always put clothes into vacuum bags so they will fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Thanks! Seems an post will be the way to go so. Will we be exempt from customs fees if we adhere to the customs guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VAL72

Hi Every one,
    An Post charges € 65 for 20kg parcel
    Recomend a box 16"x 16" x16" inches or 40 cm x 40cm x 40cm, and tape it up well .

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Diddlydoubt

any type of box with those dimensions?

I am looking to send a parcel of 20kgs to Australia myself this week

• Advertisement

Yes, The lady in the post office said any good strong box is ok ,
    i got my boxes from a storage company on the Kylemore road (not sure can i give there name ?) very helpful guys and the cheapest boxes around just a few euros a box,
    not all post offices take international parcels so check with your local.

VAL72 wrote: »
    Yes, The lady in the post office said any good strong box is ok ,
    i got my boxes from a storage company on the Kylemore road (not sure can i give there name ?) very helpful guys and the cheapest boxes around just a few euros a box,
    not all post offices take international parcels so check with your local.

I have got a box with those dimensions, just wondering what you would package the box with to ensure it doesnt fall apart on the way over?

Line the box with a big plastic bag / bin liner, pack your clothes inside the liner,
    Get a roll of box packing tape and stick a layer of tape around and around the outside of the box till its all covered ,

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

i got a quote from http://www.rifl.ie/ for 100kg, 450e. They advised me that it is probably cheaper to go with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I have sent loads of boxes to Australia, some just under 20kg. Careful with the weight, 20 is their exact limit to still pay €60, I'm not sure they accept heavier at all, it is always written as the upper limit. I never lined anything, just taped all edges securely and put things like chocolate and cosmetics in small plastic bags. Be sure to declare all types of items, what I do as well as the form is put a page inside the box as well, if the list of stuff is long. Double check the list of banned items, and wipe the bottom of dirty shoes..they have a thing about soil in football boots, might as well preempt that for all footwear. Try to write personal used or just used for clothing etc., postman quite strict with this before. Less chance of customs opening it then I suppose and holding it up. Boxes have gotten to Sydney in 6 days before, and tracking is simple.

• Advertisement

I have sent loads of boxes to Australia, some just under 20kg. Careful with the weight, 20 is their exact limit to still pay €60, I'm not sure they accept heavier at all, it is always written as the upper limit. I never lined anything, just taped all edges securely and put things like chocolate and cosmetics in small plastic bags. Be sure to declare all types of items, what I do as well as the form is put a page inside the box as well, if the list of stuff is long. Double check the list of banned items, and wipe the bottom of dirty shoes..they have a thing about soil in football boots, might as well preempt that for all footwear. Try to write personal used or just used for clothing etc., postman quite strict with this before. Less chance of customs opening it then I suppose and holding it up. Boxes have gotten to Sydney in 6 days before, and tracking is simple.

and did you use An Post to send them yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Went to An Post and it's €65 to send between 5kgs and 20kgs. Go over and you pay extra.

Nice and easy so I'll be availing of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just to follow up on this, last Tuesday afternoon (Jan 22) I posted 18.5kgs to Oz from Dublin at a cost of just 60 euro.

It arrived yesterday (Jan 30) in perfect condition meaning it took exactly five business days to get here factoring in the long weekend.

Brilliant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Yeah I went with an post, great service and quick for 60 euro. I've used it a few times now, no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newlyqualifiied

Hi guys

Just a quick question to the people who have sent boxes to Australia before using An Post- would a box that is 50cm x 40cm x 50cm be ok? I am looking to send about 40kg to oz and I am finding it hard to understand the An Post weight and dimensions allowance i.e what they actually allow size wise, in practice.

Cheers!

Advertisement