Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's On!! The biggest UFC fight in history

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

It's no the biggest fight in UFC history.

Not by any stretch.

Thought you were going to say that Don Frye replaced Overeem to fight JDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

I think what they mean by biggest is they're expecting 80,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

This is the moment you've all been waiting for

It's time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Not by any stretch.

What does the biggest fight in UFC history actually mean ?.

The biggest grossing ufc event ?
    The biggest anticipation for an event ?
    The biggest trash talking leading up to an event ?
    The fight that creates the biggest impact to the largest audience

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Still waiting for it to be signed

I read somewhere that sonnen took a whole 6 mins to think about it, where silva took 6 weeks.

I'm guessing its signed and confirmed, why else would they organise an 80,000 soccer stadium, offically annouce and publice it, as the biggest fight in UFC history, bigger than the superbowl danna said, did you read the links?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

coleria wrote: »
    I read somewhere that sonnen took a whole 6 mins to think about it, where silva took 6 weeks.

I'm guessing its signed and confirmed, why else would they organise an 80,000 soccer stadium, offically annouce and publice it, as the biggest fight in UFC history, bigger than the superbowl danna said, did you read the links?

It wouldn't be the first time fights have fallen through after being advertised to death. Just look at Klitschko v Haye.
    Until it's signed on the dotted line, nothing is certain.

my bad, verbal agreement but no dotted line,

ok lets say it is happening, can I get your opinions on the fight?

Mine are,

Silva for the first time left Brazil to train in the US for 3 months, he was out of his zone so to speak,
    He seemed exhausted, worn out, his mind wasn't in it, he missed his family, he was annoyed by all the sh*t talk, and reporters annoying him with as he said the same old "idiot" questions, hence his sarcastic replys, as he said, ask him an intelligent question and he'll answer.
    days before the fight, he was hurt (right hand side ribs), he stopped training a few times because he didn't feel well.

but even tho, after getting the sh*t kicked outta him for 4 and 3/4 rounds, (you could see his mind wasn't there) he took and handled everything that got thrown at him, still kept his composure and bang, finished it in a few seconds.

~He even went over to sonnen after, got on his knees and bowed in respect to him, after all the crap sonnen gave him.

since then, sonnen has gone on to disrespect Silva, his country, his wife! his club, everything and everyone that has anything to do with Silva, thats enough to piss any guy off and give them a reason to fight.

so now after plenty of rest, Silva has more than enough reasons to show sonnen why hes the champion, on his turf, with the support of his family, his club and his country.

I can't wait!

just saw this,
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmaweekly-6c41bcca52cf7dbe3b6a96b7444fcb43

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not by any stretch.

What fight was? By what yard stick?
    I think we can at least agree that the biggest fights will have been title shots.

Break it down by biggest by division;
    LW: BJ/Edgar 2 or Edgar/Maynard 2
    WW: Hughes/BJ, GSP/Hughes 2, GSP/BJ
    MW: Silva/Sonnen is the biggest MW match, we can agree on that I think.
    LHW: Chuck/Randy III, Chuck/Tito, Jones/Evans
    HW: Lesnar/Mir II, Lesnar/Velasquez,

Out of those fights, this one is up there with the biggest of them. I would probably say Jones Evans is bigger and you could prob make a case for one of the Lesnar or Chuck fights. But its close.

This fight is simple massive. Given everything involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

coleria wrote: »
    I think what they mean by biggest is they're expecting 80,000

Every decent main event is the biggest in history!

If they keep up this type of hype every decent match then fans will and probably already are just not falling for it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its defo up there with some of the best main events. Can't see a 47,000 stadium making 80,000, I reckon it will be 65,000 or so, they pitch couldn't be that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Not by any stretch.

"Not by any stretch"!? What are ya talkin about, of course it will. The stats such as - pay for fighters, ticket sales, TV ratings etc will blow any other fight outa the water and between then and now the way Sonnen is gonna do as much odd sh*t as he can to promote this fight, its gonna be huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Randy v Fedor. In terms of ticket sales, PPV sales and general interest that would most likely be the biggest fight in UFC history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I thought GSP vs Penn 2 was the biggest meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

if were talking hypothetical matches, fedor v brock i think would be biggest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The biggest fight in history was Couture v Liddell at UFC 52.
    I don't think this would beat it although it is a massive fight.
    Hypothetical fights,....I think Jones v Silva would be a monster fight if it ever happened. Or Lesnar v anyone, if he returned.
    GSP v Diaz would be huge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The point was the biggest fight in history so hypothetical shouldn't come into it.

Unless it's the incredible hulk vrs superman, that would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Patrick Quinn

Not by any stretch.

silvia vs gsp
    or
    silvia vs jones would be a bigger fight silva will win this fight again an it still wont shut sonnen up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

silvia vs gsp
    or
    silvia vs jones would be a bigger fight silva will win this fight again an it still wont shut sonnen up

Agreed, that would be a much bigger fight-But after Sonnen beats Silva it will be Sonnen and GSP people want ;)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Sonnen all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

Sonnen v Anderson officially moved to UFC 148 in Vegas on 7 July

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04/24/ufc-147-silva-sonne-2-press-conference-notes-quotes/

I'm sure video of the presser will be up later, it was live on youtube just now and Sonnen had some awesome moments!

Advertisement