Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Graduates - Ageism in the Workforce?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious are there any mature graduates that may have studied for particular careers and feel that they are being unsuccessful in graduate programmes due to their age?

It's a hard one to call with the labour market being the way it is but I have now on several occasions been over looked in job applications, not even at interview stage, where fellow class mates who were grades wise should we say, under performing.

It's very generalised to be considering job/ graduate applicants will be just based on results, I'm well aware that employers will look at the overall application, but this is happening all too often for it to be just the economy.

Any others experience this? Any one out there in the "real" HR world who can verify this?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Although i am still unemployed (!) and relatively young, at 31 I am 8-9 years older than the young graduates from my class. However, in interviews I have found this to be of benefit if anything. I think I am more confident, have more to say, more past experiences to draw from, and a proven passion for the area, given that I went back as a mature student. These are all resources to draw from in my opinion :)

I would also think that especially in a recession, an employer may be more interested in someone that has a "proven" track record of employment, working as part of a team etc
    [yes, i know many young graduates have been working for years!]

but perhaps that doesn't answer your question...!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Feu wrote: »
    Although i am still unemployed (!) and relatively young, at 31 I am 8-9 years older than the young graduates from my class. However, in interviews I have found this to be of benefit if anything. I think I am more confident, have more to say, more past experiences to draw from, and a proven passion for the area, given that I went back as a mature student. These are all resources to draw from in my opinion :)

I would also think that especially in a recession, an employer may be more interested in someone that has a "proven" track record of employment, working as part of a team etc
    [yes, i know many young graduates have been working for years!]

but perhaps that doesn't answer your question...!

Yep agree with you, tis all true.

But just had one of my fears confirmed. A former recruiter for a very large software company informed me that it was (I can't confirm that it is still the case) their policy in hiring graduates not to hire candidates over a certain age or if they were married. Of course they would never admit this as it is completely illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Yeah, I guess you're correct on that one, but what age are you considering as old (like a cut off point) ?

I'd believe companies when hiring are going to go for younger graduates, a company can pay them less, they're easier to manipulate, they won't question authority too much and will have a bit of energy about them.

But with all the experience and confidence older graduates carry, i'm surprised not more of them don't set up for themselves in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

FlashD wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess you're correct on that one, but what age are you considering as old (like a cut off point) ?

Same age as Feu above.
    I'd believe companies when hiring are going to go for younger graduates, a company can pay them less, they're easier to manipulate, they won't question authority too much and will have a bit of energy about them.

Totally agree that's why they do it....but I would work for less and be flexible to gain the experience.
    But with all the experience and confidence older graduates carry, i'm surprised not more of them don't set up for themselves in business.

I think your either an entrepreneur or your not. How many graduates go on to set up new businesses? I can't imagine it is a very high proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

loctite wrote: »
    Same age as Feu above. .

I thought you were going to say like 50's or something, 31 is still very young. I couldn't see an ageism issue against someone of that age especially in the IT industry
    loctite wrote: »
    I think your either an entrepreneur or your not. How many graduates go on to set up new businesses? I can't imagine it is a very high proportion.

Not many graduates go on to set up their own business mainly because the vast majority are in their early 20's and haven't the finances, confidence, life or work experiences to do so.

It's different for older graduates, the majority will have years of work experience in some industry, life experience is a given, however fianaces and confidence may vary from person to person so I guess these are personal issues standing in the way rather than having an entrepreneurial attitude.

I would have thought a good uni/institute.tech course would prepare graduates to work for themselves if they wish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement