Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Governing Body???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Getting the UFC on board almost guarantees some level of success anyway.
    Definitely one of the biggest hurdles.
    Would probably help in getting a new judging system sorted by having an official organisation dealing with the athletic commissions instead of just promotions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Seems like the newly formed International MMA Federation (www.immaf.org) has UFC support.

Link: http://www.addictedmma.com/story-News_7155_The-UFC-supports-the-International-MMA-Federation.php

Thoughts anyone??

I think the UFC will support anything that gets them free from the state commissions!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Sounds a little suspicious to me. Something similar was suggested a few years ago from what I remember when Afflicition was starting up and the UFC just werent bothered getting involved. I would think this IMMAF their pushing would be in someway under their thumb and\or riddled with Zuffa shills.

Im all for regulation but would be pretty wary of a regulatory body that has been suggested by a company with the largest market share in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I think in theory it's a fantastic idea.
    To have an internationally recognised governing body could give the sport the credibility it needs and can bring it to the forefront of world sport. Even though mma is rapidly growing worldwide, let's face it, it's still a borderline "underground" sport that's always on the fringes of the respected sports world. It's never mentioned in sports news and even though it has a dedicated following, I bet if you asked the average Joe Soap on the street do they know what mma is, they'll either have no clue or they'll say it's a no holes barred fight to the death in a cage. MMA needs to be globally recognised and respected and this could help that cause.
    The UFC are backing this because they're the biggest name in the business and if the sport gets respected and global coverage then as a result the UFC automatically gets most of that coverage.

Another possible positive of this is if it gets decent funding then the plans are to help the sport at a grassroots level and that can only be a good thing for the future of the sport. And with a former mma athlete at the helm of the operation this is also good news as you have someone with experience and who knows the business.

On the other hand, what we don't want is this to turn into FIFA for mma. An organisation full of cronyism and back-handers and money-grabbers with no genuine interest in helping the sport. And it needs to have no members of Zuffa on the board whatsoever or it'll just be the UFC as a wolf in sheeps clothing. They'll use it as a front for promoting the sport of mma when in reality it'll be only promoting the big shows with the money behind them....aka Zuffa owned promotions.
    If it does take off it would need to be run correctly and watched closely as I think there's a very thin line between it being a saviour of the sport or ruining the sport. So after all is said, I'm on the fence about it until I hear more of its plans in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the UFC will support anything that gets them free from the state commissions!
    But would it get them free for the ACs?
    Boxing has its international organisatinos, but still is subject to AC rules.

A international organisation is a good idea in terms of unified rules and such. Or helping set up an national organisations in countries like Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

To fight in the US, you need clearance from the State Athletic commisions. I think this is a step to ensure the same standards are upheld wherever they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sounds a little suspicious to me. Something similar was suggested a few years ago from what I remember when Afflicition was starting up and the UFC just werent bothered getting involved.

That would have been "WAMMA".

Bit of a joke organisation, and eventually died on it's arse. The UFC ignoring it played a bit part because WAMMA's aim of crowning a cross promotional champ in every class was never viable given the UFC's refusal to co-promote with anyone.

Advertisement