Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witch Hazel/Bay Rum

Options
  • 12-04-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm constantly being told that these are excellent to use after the shave, and while Shaving.ie has bay rum, I'm wondering if theres anywhere to get these in dublin? I'd like to know what it smells like before i buy it?
    Also, on the witch hazel, what exactly is it? I heard its great for relieveing redness LK
    thanks
    Bren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I use witchhazel most days instead of a balm or aftershave.
    You have two options, there is the traditional 'pharmacy brand' witchhazel
    which you can pick up in most chemists for a couple of euros.
    http://www.ricesteele.com/skin-care/witch-hazel-.200.html

The other option is to purchase some Thayers witch hazel from the USA.
    I order from http://www.iherb.com/Thayers
    As long as you keep the weight low standard delivery is approx 4 dollars
    and takes 7-10 days to arrive.

There are several debates on the usual shaving fora over whether Thayers is
    'proper' witchhazel or a distillate. I wont bore you with the details but I find
    both equally as effective and Thayers does not have the slight musty smell that
    the pharmacy brand has.

Thayers is also available with aloe vera and that is the one I tend to use the most.

Get a small spray bottle in Boots travel sections and you can spray a mist on post-shave. Spray on and leave on skin.

It's a pretty mild smelling product and as it's an astringent it helps close pores and provides relief from mild nicks and irritation. Unlike alcohol it doesnt sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

Thats great advice, thanks! :)
    I shall check out the pharmacy tomorrow!
    wasnt really sure about it, but i shall give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

If you happen to have a Boots store near you, you should be able to find their own brand bay rum aftershave.

Bay rums will vary a lot between different makers but it should give you an idea as to what to expect.

I've already asked in the nearest boots, they didnt know what i was talking about :(

MetalBren wrote: »
    I've already asked in the nearest boots, they didnt know what i was talking about :(

I've picked up the 'Pharmacy Brand' stuff in the larger Boots stores.
    It is normally located near the pharmacy counter beside the E45,aqueous, silcocks base creams. Ask at the pharmacy counter if you can't see.
    Price is around €1.95 to €2.45 per bottle.

The Boots Bay Rum AS will be in a different part of the store, normally near the shaving gels and Boots own brand shaving cream/soap.

• Advertisement

I've picked up the 'Pharmacy Brand' stuff in the larger Boots stores.
    It is normally located near the pharmacy counter beside the E45,aqueous, silcocks base creams. Ask at the pharmacy counter if you can't see.
    Price is around €1.95 to €2.45 per bottle.

The Boots Bay Rum AS will be in a different part of the store, normally near the shaving gels and Boots own brand shaving cream/soap.

I ran down to the pharmacy near me and got the witch hazel, I'm heading to town on saturday, going to see if i can get the bay rum there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Boots brand bay rum is very cheap and smells bay rum-ish but not a patch on something like Taylors of Old Bond Street. It wears off very quick, but try dousing your hair for better effect. Bay Rum was originally a hair tonic.

i got the bay rum, will try it out tomorrow after shaving!

MetalBren wrote: »
    i got the bay rum, will try it out tomorrow after shaving!

You try the witch hazel yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Is the Bay Rum in Boots an actual aftershave? The only one I could find say's hair tonic.

• Advertisement

I think it can be used as both.
    THe witch hazel isnt exactly the most beautifully fragranced thing, but it soothes like its meant to.
    And the boots bay rum smells like cloves...

The pharmacy brand witchhazel has a musty smell but dispersed quickly, the Thayers doesn't have the same smell. Thayers with aloe Vera is well worth buyin.

I hate cloves, the reason why I haven't and won't be trying the bay rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I hate cloves, the reason why I haven't and won't be trying the bay rum.

Proper bay rum smells of bay, not cloves - try the TOBS version.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

MadsL wrote: »
    try dousing your hair for better effect.

What hair would that be? Not all of us are blessed with your fulsome locks. :rolleyes:

I just spotted a tweet from Mantic linking to an article of his on 8 uses for witch hazel
    http://sharpologist.com/2012/06/8-uses-for-witch-hazel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breda mooney

Only started using Bay Rum recently. It is too early to notice any change in the condition, but what I have noticed is my hair has lightened in colour. Wondering is it the sun that has stripped the colour or has anybody noticed the Bay Rum having that effect on the hair.
    I am hoping Bay Rum will make a difference as I am upset over the bald patches appearing but am in my sixties which could account for alot I suppose?
    Thanks & regards
    Breda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Only started using Bay Rum recently. It is too early to notice any change in the condition, but what I have noticed is my hair has lightened in colour. Wondering is it the sun that has stripped the colour or has anybody noticed the Bay Rum having that effect on the hair.
    I am hoping Bay Rum will make a difference as I am upset over the bald patches appearing but am in my sixties which could account for alot I suppose?
    Thanks & regards
    Breda

Going by your name I assume your a woman?

It could be alopecia too, did you do to the doctor?

My grandmother and mother have thin hair but my grandmother has a great shampoo that thickens it she also stopped colouring her hair as she made off it didn't help

You could also try Regained/Rogaine foam too it has a women's version but you could use the men's version too, I know one or two woman that used the men's version and it grew back a couple patches. Maybe it was only stress loss though

Also make sure it bay rum hair tonic and not bay rum aftershave

Another one a male relative swears by is Vaseline hair tonic. To be fair it did seem to thicken up his thin hair, another one to luck at

Hope it helps and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breda mooney

To: Jurgen Klopp

Thank you for your reply on my query re Bay Rum for thinning hair.

I will check into Rogaine as you suggested.

Regards

Mary Murphy

Advertisement