Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a racing bike for beginners

Options
  • 12-04-2012 9:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

Hi,
    I was hoping there might be a sticky somewhere on this as I know this topic has been done to death. I've read through many threads but I guess bikes are like computers...always with newer models being released etc.

I plan to compete in triathlons over the summer and go on weekend cycles etc. Nothing to serious thou!

Basically I want to buy a bike inc. pedals for the €1,000 on the BTW scheme but have no idea what to look for.

I have been recommended the Canyon Roadlite 6.0 but as I would be buying direct off a German website I'm not sure if I can use the BTW scheme?

I live in Dublin City Centre but have no car.

I plan on going into Cycleways on Parnell St. and Cycle super store out in Tallaght.

Does anybody have any recommendations on bikes or shops in the Dublin area?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

here are the ones I know about

Cycleways found them expensive.
    Superstore is a fine shop,
    Wheelworx heard good things about them
    Joe Daly in dundrum - another good shop
    Humphries cycles in Finglas.
    Stagg Cycles in Lucan

any of these should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

boucher wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was hoping there might be a sticky somewhere on this as I know this topic has been done to death. I've read through many threads but I guess bikes are like computers...always with newer models being released etc.

I plan to compete in triathlons over the summer and go on weekend cycles etc. Nothing to serious thou!

Basically I want to buy a bike inc. pedals for the €1,000 on the BTW scheme but have no idea what to look for.

I have been recommended the Canyon Roadlite 6.0 but as I would be buying direct off a German website I'm not sure if I can use the BTW scheme?

I live in Dublin City Centre but have no car.

I plan on going into Cycleways on Parnell St. and Cycle super store out in Tallaght.

Does anybody have any recommendations on bikes or shops in the Dublin area?

Thanks in advance

Some companies use an outside agency for the bike to work scheme and they'll have a list of approved bike shops.
    Others allow you to buy the bike using th company credit card from where ever you want. The government don't put a limit on it being solely on bikes bought in Ireland.

I used Stagg in Lucan. Thought they were very helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 boucher

BennyMul wrote: »
    here are the ones I know about

Cycleways found them expensive.
    Superstore is a fine shop,
    Wheelworx heard good things about them
    Joe Daly in dundrum - another good shop
    Humphries cycles in Finglas.
    Stagg Cycles in Lucan

any of these should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks
    Some companies use an outside agency for the bike to work scheme and they'll have a list of approved bike shops.
    Others allow you to buy the bike using th company credit card from where ever you want. The government don't put a limit on it being solely on bikes bought in Ireland.

I used Stagg in Lucan. Thought they were very helpful.

Will put down Staggs on my list.

Would probably get better value buying online but I'm just thinking if anything goes wrong what kind of after sales service is available from an online shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you are in the city centre try think bike in rathmines beside the aldi
    nice and honest people
    I have bought a MTB touring bike from them and they where super helpful.
    a client of mine went there once bought 25 gels and the assistant asked him have you tried them before?
    he said no
    asissant said than only buy 3 and try them and see if you like them .
    thats the shops i like .
    they are stronger on the city bike front but up to 1400 euro i think they have a good road bike selection ( over 1500 v little) .
    stag is also good but a bit far and i think you always go best to sevice the bike where you bought it as you should get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Another shop closer to you is McDonald Cycles; they've a branch on Aungier St and another in Rathgar. I don't know if they have the type of bike you're looking for but I had good service from them when I bought my commuting bike (for €80 less than Joe Daly's). There's also Penny Farthing Cycles just down the road from Aungier St - you could kill a few birds with one stone and visit these too and then go to the Rathmines place. Or save your legs and ring ahead to see if they have what you need! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Have had a lot of good reports about stagg in Lucan.

As someone on the lookout for an entry level racer I have been disappointed about the amount of time and advise I have got from two shops I have been into-mainly because they are so busy.

I would advise going in on of peak times if that is possible.

Thanks for all the replies. Will check them all!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I bought my first bike online. It came in a box. Yes I got a good price, but, my advice? Go to a bricks and mortar shop. Youll have backup and service which you ALWAYS need with your first bike. Plus you can check the fit of the bike before you buy.

Hi,

Thanks again for the advice.

I think I have narrowed it down to two bikes#

1) Allez Elite 2012. Cycleways have it for €1,129.99

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/12allez/allez/allez%20elite/

or

2) Giant Defy 1. Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght have it for €1,220

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy/9317/49821/

Any opinions on these?

As has been said above, I'd much rather buy from a shop who I can meet face to face with, get fitted and have some level of after sales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Provided you are getting the spec as listed on your links the Giant is a mix of Tiagra and 105, while the Specialized is all Tiagra. On that basis I'd be going for the Giant.

Can't imagine theres going to be much difference in frame quality beyond that.

Geometry is also going to be something to consider. The Giant will have a longer top tube than the Specialized (as ElD will tell you), so if like him, or me, you have long legs compared to your torso then the Giant probably wont be as comfortable as you're likely to be stretched a bit to reach. If you're more in proportion then you should be fine on it. Have you ridden both? Which felt more comfortable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

There is probably not a whole lot between those two other than the groupset as previous said.

If you are thinking of spending that much you should check out one of these

http://planetxireland.com/products-page/sl-pro-carbon-bikes/planet-x-sl-pro-carbon-complete-bike-sram-rival/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I have an Allez and got on really well with it (although I have a tendency to destroy wheels).

Those PlanetX bikes are very nice though and are great bang for your buck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »
    I bought my first bike online. It came in a box. Yes I got a good price, but, my advice? Go to a bricks and mortar shop. Youll have backup and service which you ALWAYS need with your first bike. Plus you can check the fit of the bike before you buy.

Defo !

I bought my 1st bike in a shop but 2nd online as i had an idea of what i wanted, my size, someone good to fit me when i got it and build it all for me !

Advertisement