Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewdog Dogma

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

What's the deal with the naming of this beer? I was convinced I'd tried this beer before when I seen a bottle of it in Drinkstore, but the colour of the label was Orange and White. The one I'd tried before was Pink and Black.

Searched back on the "What beer are we drinking this week ?" thread and noticed that I had drank it before in it's original guise. I've searched the Brewdog site and they say that it's the same beer. The original was 7.8% and the one I tried was 7.4% and is described as "heather honey infused scotch ale" totally at odds with the original beer.

Anybody got the low down on this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody got the low down on this?
    They changed the recipe slightly. Original Dogma (formerly Speedball); new Dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    They changed the recipe slightly. Original Dogma (formerly Speedball); new Dogma.
    I wouldn't say slightly though, I thought it changed radically, which made it a totally different beer imo. Even the ingredients would suggest so.

Original
    ABV:7.8%
    OG:1072
    IBU’s:80
    Malts:Marris Otter, Dark Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley
    Hops:Bramling X and Amarillo
    (plus all the additions; honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana)

New
    ABV:7.4%
    OG:1082
    Malts:Munich, Crystal, Chocolate, Brown and Dark Chocoalte Malt
    Hops:Saaz and First Gold
    Twist:Heather infused honey added

Can't say I noticed the taste of guarana, kola nut or poppy in the original. I think they were there more for the Speedball label copy than the flavour, as with Royal Virility Performance. The grain bill isn't all that different: pale malt, crystal malt and dark malt in both. And it's not a particularly hop-forward beer.

Dogma is a medium-dark honey ale of about 7.5% ABV, in both versions.

Can't say I noticed the taste of guarana, kola nut or poppy in the original. I think they were there more for the Speedball label copy than the flavour, as with Royal Virility Performance. The grain bill isn't all that different: pale malt, crystal malt and dark malt in both. And it's not a particularly hop-forward beer.

I could certainly taste the difference between the two. The first incarnation was lighter looking for a start, and had a stranger complexity (which I actually liked), obviously from the kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.
    The newer version is much much darker and the overwhelming taste isliquorice. Nice all the same, but definitely completely different beers and I find it strange that they’ve kept the name but imo changed the recipe so much. Have you tried the newer version?

Dogma is a medium-dark honey ale of about 7.5% ABV, in both versions.

7.8% and 7.4%

Fair enough. No, I haven't tried the new one. I guess they thought they were similar enough to bring fans of the original over to the regular-production version. But not you :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough. No, I haven't tried the new one. I guess they thought they were similar enough to bring fans of the original over to the regular-production version. But not you :)

I'm sure you'll get around to trying the new one and I'll look forward to reading your blog when you do. At least you kept notes from the first time so there'll be a good comparison.

Advertisement