Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy 9v adaptor

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a 9v adaptor and I don't have time to order one online so I'll need to enter an olde bricks'n'mortar shop. Where would be the best place to pick up one of these? I don't need anything fancy and don't want to spend too much.

As a last resort Argos have a multi-voltage adaptor but this cost €18.49 and is way more than I actually need so I'm hoping to get something smaller and cheaper. No point paying for 7 heads when I only need one.

Does anyone know off hand where would be the best place to aim for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not all adaptors are equal. You need to get one capable of supplying sufficient current for the device it's supplying. Using an under-rated one is dangerous and may even destroy your device.

Perhaps if you tell us what it's for we could help further ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Cheers, Ken, it's for a games console. I know the Argos one works as I've used it before but I don't want to have to buy it again as I only need a 9v, not a multi-v.

This is the kinda thing I'll be looking out for in shops.
    wpjrq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is that the original one ? Write down the details from it and bring it with you to somewhere like Maplin.

The important info is:

Input Voltage: 220 to 240 VAC usually.
    Output Voltage: 9V in your case but is it AC or DC.
    Output Current: In AMPS - very important !!!! More is better than less when replacing.
    Polarity: Ignore if AC but if DC then which pin is (+) and which is (-)
    Plug: There are many different sizes so if you don't have the original bring the console to ensure compatibility and correct fit.

IS the make/model of the console a secret or can you divulge ?

Ken

Advertisement