Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Irish again

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any beginner classes for Irish for adults? I am Irish, did the leaving cert, passed by learning things off by heart etc but literally know about 20 words. It was always the subject I struggled with, partly because of the way it is taught- if you forget things you learned aged 8 you find yourself in 1st year and at a complete loss!! I would love to be able to have a conversation in Irish, and think starting from the absolute beginning might help. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sala wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any beginner classes for Irish for adults? I am Irish, did the leaving cert, passed by learning things off by heart etc but literally know about 20 words. It was always the subject I struggled with, partly because of the way it is taught- if you forget things you learned aged 8 you find yourself in 1st year and at a complete loss!! I would love to be able to have a conversation in Irish, and think starting from the absolute beginning might help. Any ideas?

Where are you based?

There's a poster here, Deise Go Deo, who usually has a good idea of different classes/groups/ciorcail chomhrá that are happening around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mafi

I would also like to learn Irish again and its been leaving cert since I studied it. Are there any groups or classes being held in Tralee or nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I've had a look at the Gaelport website and they say that there are courses organised by Gaelchultur at Tralee Education Centre. The Spring course has already begun but you could telephone them to find out about what else they might be offering.
    1 890 252 900
    Slàn
    Franc

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Hey.. in same boat..in Dublin, but for some reason have an urge to learn conversational irish.. spotted this course

https://cnag.ie/courses/view/d._Me%C3%A1nrang_1

Also, listen in to 106.4 r na life..its irish language but they play the most incredible music and you really feel like you learn stuff listenin in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

reganovich wrote: »
    Hey.. in same boat..in Dublin, but for some reason have an urge to learn conversational irish.. spotted this course

https://cnag.ie/courses/view/d._Me%C3%A1nrang_1

Also, listen in to 106.4 r na life..its irish language but they play the most incredible music and you really feel like you learn stuff listenin in!

Well put it this way, you can spend €180 on a class, or you can go to a free Ciorcal Comhrá and learn conversational Irish by conversing with others in Irish and keep the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement