Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cage rage

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Well lads cage rage uk is on at 10pm tonight on sky sports 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thing about Cage Rage (and now UCMMA) is, why does everything have to be so fake and over the top when they're talking. There was a lad in the cage just now saying UCMMA is the biggest MMA promotion in the world.

These guys would put Joe Rgan to shame for shilling!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anytime I watch Cage Rage the sound has to be off. Really cant take the thick accents constantly going "E's 'ard! Inn'e? Oh e's so 'ard"
    Although I still go back and watch Cyborg vs Manhoef every now and then for a giggle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It is amusing how they go on, they use all the stereotypes that MMA tries to stay away from to sell the event!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

You don't like how they sell their product. I'm sure they care.

Haters gonna hate.

MrStuffins wrote: »

How is that shilling? Exageration, yes. Shilling, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

DoD has always been a little bit off the wall to be fair. But love him or loathe him he has done more to bring UK MMA to the masses over the years than anyone else I can think of.

Not too sure about his latest concept though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Haters gonna hate.

Well they should care. At the end of the day they have to please the fans. They already have a fan base but if they want to grow that fan base then they have to appeal to a wider audience and the way the production is at the minute they'll be stuck as a low level promotion. I don't think the UFC will be worried about losing fans to them any time soon.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Well they should care. At the end of the day they have to please the fans. They already have a fan base but if they want to grow that fan base then they have to appeal to a wider audience and the way the production is at the minute they'll be stuck as a low level promotion. I don't think the UFC will be worried about losing fans to them any time soon.

I dont think MMA has reached it's critical mass for this to matter yet. There are simple too many unexplored markets.

We have promotions with stripper poles. Promotions with kids fighting in the cage. We've promotions who bring in over the hill UFC veterans. They all market themselves differently and will succeed well enough until that point of critical mass is reached. Only then will production values have an impact on audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Dean09 wrote: »

I dont think MMA has reached it's critical mass for this to matter yet. There are simple too many unexplored markets.

We have promotions with stripper poles. Promotions with kids fighting in the cage. We've promotions who bring in over the hill UFC veterans. They all market themselves differently and will succeed well enough until that point of critical mass is reached. Only then will production values have an impact on audience.
    It has in Ireland i think. You have shows clashing sometimes due to lack of communication. But most regulars don't care about production values and just wanna see dam good fights. This is down to match making.

It has in Ireland i think. You have shows clashing sometimes due to lack of communication. But most regulars don't care about production values and just wanna see dam good fights. This is down to match making.

Exactly. Like i said, none of the below matters. Haters gonna hate.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Thing about Cage Rage (and now UCMMA) is, why does everything have to be so fake and over the top when they're talking. There was a lad in the cage just now saying UCMMA is the biggest MMA promotion in the world.
    Anytime I watch Cage Rage the sound has to be off. Really cant take the thick accents constantly going "E's 'ard! Inn'e? Oh e's so 'ard"
    Although I still go back and watch Cyborg vs Manhoef every now and then for a giggle
    cowzerp wrote: »
    It is amusing how they go on, they use all the stereotypes that MMA tries to stay away from to sell the event!!

• Advertisement

But it does matter.
    It's all well and good having great fights but the fans also need to feel they're getting value for money and that includes a good all round production. The dedicated fans will go just for the fights but it's the casual fan that needs to be enticed in by a good show.
    Any Irish event I've been to has this in my opinion. They all seem to be of a very high standard that the both the hardcore fans and the casual fan can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

So because we don't like the format that Cage Rage is done we're haters!!

I simply like MMA to be portrayed as it should be, as a sport, Cage rage appeals to a lower class in society and makes MMA out to be a scummers game.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

But most regulars don't care about production values and just wanna see dam good fights. This is down to match making.

Totally agree with you that a lot of it is down to good match making. :)

But I would argue strongly that in order for the sport to keep growing and attracting new fans production values are important. To compete with other sports entertainment products events need to be providing entertainment, which in many of Joe publics eyes will involve decent lighting, effects, atmosphere, buzz etc etc. If a potential fan goes to his (or hers) first MMA event expecting something more that is delivered then it's very likely that they will not try another event in the future.

Just my point of view for what it's worth!

Haters gonna hate.

Am I the only one who has noticed that the term "hater" has become the internet equivilant of when, in real life, a brainless gorm (it's mostly girls in my experience) gets criticised and instead of recognising the flaw or even thinking about a decent counter-argument they say "They're just jealous!!"??

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

DoD has always been a little bit off the wall to be fair. But love him or loathe him he has done more to bring UK MMA to the masses over the years than anyone else I can think of.

Mental

WTF IS THIS SH*T????

It could be worse though...............

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think they both look amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Ridiculous idea, if i paid to see an mma show and this was on in the middle of it, I would be pissed.

^^
    What a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

close_encounters_large_09.jpg

... and then we saw that Ultimate Ball crap and instantly lost all faith in mankind

• Advertisement
Advertisement