Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car from Uk

Options
  • 11-04-2012 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Im considering buying my husband a classic car which is for sale in teh UK. I want it to be a surprise but am clueless about how to go about it. I need to get it collected & delivered to my door (hopefully while He's at work!) Have googled & trying to get some quotes for this. But need to know about the legalities. I know VRT will be 200 as its over 30 years old but is this something that we organise to pay after car is in our posession? Ie can I just pay the dealer, pay the delivery guy & then husband can sort out everything else after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes thats about it.

You must have done something REALLY bad...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Lol, no he gave up smoking after 20 odd years so he deserves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SilverBullet

Hi I just registered a classic today that was brought in from the UK, you need to arrange an appointment with NCT centre(Greenhills or Ballyfermot in Dublin anyway)then go with car, bring V5 document(uk log book) bring pps number, proof of address, receipt for purchase of car and receipt for ferry ticket and that's it really

Hope this helps

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Really nice gesture but are you absolutely sure the car you're looking at is exactly what he would want?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I know VRT will be 200 as its over 30 years old but is this something that we organise to pay after car is in our posession? Ie can I just pay the dealer, pay the delivery guy & then husband can sort out everything else after?

yes, you can "clear" the car at the nct centre when yer husband takes posession of it, its a simple process.

Yes, careful who you use to ship the car - make sure its taken care of. I often do a lot of this for cleints. PM me for more as I may be able to offer you some help and guideance and also chack over the car for you to make sure you'll get a good deal and not be ripped off with an oul' rustbucket! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I wish I'd married you:-(

Make SURE your firm collecting the car from ( i assume) a dealer brings away the complete V5C. Tell em not to accept the car without it . You will have to jump through hoops to re-register it if they send it to the DVLA (this is the procedure the DVLA outline on thier website but many dealers are totally ignorant of it)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

corktina wrote: »
    (this is the procedure the DVLA outline on thier website but many dealers are totally ignorant of it)

Well, it's buried somewhere between the DVLA.gov.uk, Direct.gov.uk and the Department for Transport :pac:

You'll find the exact procedure on page 8 of DVLA leaflet INS160 - Registration Certificate Guidance Notes (PDF)

To any seller ignorant of it - and to be fair, it's the complete opposite of a domestic sale - just point them to the official advice in the DVLA leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Make SURE your firm collecting the car from ( i assume) a dealer brings away the complete V5C. Tell em not to accept the car without it . You will have to jump through hoops to re-register it if they send it to the DVLA (this is the procedure the DVLA outline on thier website but many dealers are totally ignorant of it)
    I lived in the North for most of my life and didn't know this until recently on boards. On the V5 it says to send the document to the DVLA/DVLANI but this does not apply for exporting the car.
    Also you could consider getting the AA to test the car before you buy to be sure.

I lived in the North for most of my life and didn't know this until recently on boards. On the V5 it says to send the document to the DVLA/DVLANI but this does not apply for exporting the car.
    Also you could consider getting the AA to test the car before you buy to be sure.

if you are exporting the car PERSONALLY you send in the V5C, otherwise you hand it to the new buyer if he is exporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree it's a fantastic sentiment, but unless your husband has specifically looked at that exact car and drooled over it - don't do it.

At the very least know what type/model/colour/year he is interested in. Assuming you are buying from a dealer (because anything else would be nuts) it's not going to be cheap, and it could be an expensive mistake otherwise.

Also bear in mind sometimes the buying process is half the fun, not to mention a potential roadtrip to drive the car back.

if you are exporting the car PERSONALLY you send in the V5C

Depends on where your going. PERSONALLY, around the EU, you just bring the V5C too to chop in for a local VRC.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Depends on where your going. PERSONALLY, around the EU, you just bring the V5C too to chop in for a local VRC.

You CAN do that but the official procedure is to send in the little slip and get an export cert if you are yourself taking a car registered to you abroad permanently. That way you end the "paper" trail and there isnt the possibility of the car being cloned and you getting the speeding tickets etc for it (as an example)

Keep up with the times Tina,

see P8 of the above leaflet ;) it tells you about the official procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

macplaxton wrote: »

You CAN do that but the official procedure is to send in the little slip and get an export cert if you are yourself taking a car registered to you abroad permanently. That way you end the "paper" trail and there isnt the possibility of the car being cloned and you getting the speeding tickets etc for it (as an example)

No, that's wrong. Only the UK registered KEEPER of the vehicle applies for an export Cert. Everyone else brings the entire V5C with them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Hi Swagger, Lucky Husband, I have to buy my own classics toys. If it is of any interest to you, I will collect the car in the U.K., take to Ireland, Clear it with the customs, and deliver it to your door whenever you wanted it. I would charge you <snip> Anyway, best of luck with your romantic idea, I think its great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@mattroche - advertising is not allowed around here unless you contact hello@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Unkel, I am not advertising a service, I am trying to help Swagger to do what she wants to do, as I know the ropes, and what is involved, I felt I might be of assistance to her. I also think it was only right that she should know what it would cost her, and if she wanted to contact me about it, to discuss it further, even if she did not want me to actually do it, she has my Mob. No. This is a 1 off, I have not done this before, so I do not know what your problem is? I think that the full information that I posted should be shown, for her to see, and let the lady decide for her self. There is little point in looking for help/information, if the replies are going to be deleted before it is put on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

be careful in uk and get someone to examin the car,what make is the car ? where is it in uk

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mattroche wrote: »
    Unkel, I am not advertising a service, I am trying to help Swagger to do what she wants to do, as I know the ropes, and what is involved, I felt I might be of assistance to her.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt by leaving your post there. She can PM you if she would like your help.

Putting up an offer to do something for a price and leaving your phone number on the thread is, of course, advertising. Now let's get back to the thread.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    No, that's wrong. Only the UK registered KEEPER of the vehicle applies for an export Cert. Everyone else brings the entire V5C with them.

FTFY. ;)

galwaytt, did of you read page 8 of DVLA leaflet INS160 - Registration Certificate Guidance Notes (PDF) ?

Doesn't matter if you are the export purchaser or an existing UK registered keeper exporting themselves, nobody HAS to go and get a V756 Certificate of Permanent Export *if* the V5C is available. e.g. EVERYONE is to bring an entire V5C with them.
    Direct.gov.uk - Apply for certificate of permanent export (form V756)
    ...This form should not be used where a V5C Registration Certificate is available...

Never buy a UK car without a V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate. Do not accept an old style single page "V5" Vehicle Registration Document either (the one without the "C"). These are no longer valid. Also check the document serial number against the known big batch of blue ones that got stolen ages ago.* If you are really hell bent on buying a particular vehicle, insist on the seller coming up with the paperwork - there's no good excuse for not having it.
    *Direct.gov.uk - Advice on buying a vehicle
    ...Look out for stolen V5Cs. If the seller has a blue V5C with a serial number in the following ranges, don’t go ahead with the sale. Contact the police when it’s safe to do so:

BG8229501 to BG9999030
    BI2305501 to BI2800000

The serial number is in a white circle in the top right hand corner of the V5C.

Don’t buy the vehicle if you think the serial number has been altered, or if part of the V5C is missing...

I'll have to ask the DVLA why they even bother to still do a V756 when there should always be a V5C present at the point of a sale/exchange/transfer.:rolleyes:

Advertisement