Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA-like road insurance breakdown cover for Europe?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

hi, anyone know any good companies that cover campervans for this kind of thing?

travelling around Europe this summer in a fairly old camper and would like to get cover for breakdown & repairs if it's not too expensive.

i think someone might have recommended a German crowd here somewhere before but I can't remember the name now

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

hi, anyone know any good companies that cover campervans for this kind of thing?

travelling around Europe this summer in a fairly old camper and would like to get cover for breakdown & repairs if it's not too expensive.

i think someone might have recommended a German crowd here somewhere before but I can't remember the name now

thanks

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

T650 wrote: »

yeah that's defo the one I saw recommended here a while back. thanks for the link. much appreciated.
    .......couldn't find the original thread I'd seen it on, but were people talking about it because it's the best cover for campers? ...or one of the best? ...are there other similar packages out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

yeah that's defo the one I saw recommended here a while back. thanks for the link. much appreciated.
    .......couldn't find the original thread I'd seen it on, but were people talking about it because it's the best cover for campers? ...or one of the best? ...are there other similar packages out there?

Does your insurance not give you breakdown cover across Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Thats what i thought but i was caught out badly over the weekend on a motorbike trip the end result is the bike is still in Kerry when i need it to be in Dublin the insurance only covered it to be taken up to 15miles where it could be repaired
    Has anyone used this German outfit, deafo going to get some breakdown cover for the motorhome
    p.s anyone got a bike trailer i could borrow for a day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

wouldn't the aa be of any use?we have them for the car for recovery homestart and european cover.we have a '96 fiesta but they had no problem coming out to us on many occassion in the '78 cortina and i thought they recovered upto 3.5 ton on standard policy.open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

As you said the AA dont cover anything over 3.5tons that rules out a lot of motorhomes

yeah I think it's limited though. haven't skimmed through all the t&cs yet but i remembered that this german company were being recommended here before and a lot of people saying there good value

anyone know if ADAC have the terms&conditions of their policy on the website in english anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

The AA aren't worth a sh*te if your MH breaks down in Europe. Dolmen insurance appears to cover breakdown in France but not on the motorway. Go figure. ADAC are the business, give them a call they all speak English and will get you through the signing up process. Includes full repatriation of your vehicle if worst comes to worst plus health cover etc also. For under €80 p/a. Terms and conditions come in English.

The AA are too busy giving out about tolls and fuel costs to be a real motoring cover company.

anyone know if ADAC have the terms&conditions of their policy on the website in english anywhere?

....or anyone even know for sure if they defo don't have this info in english on the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

This is the english page on there site. http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

bo.jangles wrote: »
    This is the english page on there site. http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

thanks. I'd seen that but just wondered if the T&Cs were translated anywhere. don't think they are but can phone them i guess

and quick question, I know zilch about this stuff and am wondering if it covers just one named person or is it like an open drive policy...?

We'll have a general insurance open drive policy with a few different people driving the van. Our policy does come with breakdown cover but it's basic enough so we are looking at this ADAC one now as it seems good value.
    anyone know offhand if it's open of just one named driver?

Advertisement