Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Blogs for inspiration

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

Stumbled on this guys beer video/blog site and have found some of the content very interesting: http://blip.tv/craftbeertemple/

I know a few members here have decent blogs which I read for inspiration when stocking up but would be curious to know of other sites you all use.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

While some are down to earth there is a tendency for beer bloggers, like wine bloggers, to be asshats.

If someone starts going on about all sorts outlandish flavours I tend to move on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

*adjusts ass-shaped hat*
    On the other hand, the terms "malty" and "hoppy" tell you basically nothing about a beer. And there's only so many times a man can type "grapefruit" without wanting to hunt down every grapefruit on earth and strangle it.

I pointed a friend to a beer blog a while ago. He came back with a question, something like "what sort of knobbery is that", and I reckon it put him off craft beer for life as he now has the perception that the industry is heading in that particular direction.

Not saying all are bad, just one needs to be careful not to overdo it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

n97 mini wrote: »
    he now has the perception that the industry is heading in that particular direction.
    "The industry"? If I thought for a second that stuff I write could affect how beer tastes I'd do it a lot more.

Not liking an entire segment of the drinks industry because of how some people write about it sounds really weird, like giving up pop music or football because some of the journos who cover it are asshats.

BeerNut wrote: »
    "The industry"?
    The craft beer industry, as opposed to the non craft beer industry.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Not liking an entire segment of the drinks industry because of how some people write about it sounds really weird, like giving up pop music or football because some of the journos who cover it are asshats.
    Yup, and that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

What direction is that? Craft beer is ridiculously diverse so of course people are going to write and read about it. Its there for people who are interested in it. With him out of the picture more for us :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Best thing to do is go to a blog, of which there are many. Then take note of what blogs the author reads, they will will usually have a list, and take a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

n97 mini wrote: »
    While some are down to earth there is a tendency for beer bloggers, like wine bloggers, to be asshats.

If someone starts going on about all sorts outlandish flavours I tend to move on.
    Tbh, I would've probably felt the same way about 5 years ago. I could never understand how some people could taste such a varied amount of flavours in a drink (especially in wine) and I always put it down to snobbery. Luckily enough my palate has grown and I'm be able to pick out a lot of the subtle flavour profiles in beer and wine. That said, I definitely appreciate why people can see it as snobbery, but as Beernut has said, you can only list the basic flavours so many times before it becomes tired and predictable.

Advertisement