Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the internet the beginning of a borg-like collective?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭

So this question came to mind one day when I left my iPhone at home by mistake. I was so lost to be disconnected from the world like this that it occured to me this is maybe what those borg in Star Trek feel like when removed from 'the hive'. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

AngryLips wrote: »
    So this question came to mind one day when I left my iPhone at home by mistake. I was so lost to be disconnected from the world like this that it occured to me this is maybe what those borg in Star Trek feel like when removed from 'the hive'. Any thoughts?

If you feel like a disconnected Borg without your iPhone, you spend far too much time online :p

Joking aside, I think the thread title & your post ask two different questions...

1) Is the internet the beginning of a Borg like collective? Canonically speaking no. The Borg are one mind, one being, as a collective. The internet is built by billions of different individuals, all with their own separate ideas & agendas.

To borrow a term, it's make up of "Infinite diversity, in infinite combinations" & in fact is quite the polar opposite of a Borg like collective. I'd be more worried about a future Skynet as opposed to a collective :P

2) Is this what the Borg feel like when they are disconnected? We seen with Hugh, it couldn't really function as an individual for quite a while. We've seen with 7 also, the silence, & lack of 'the others' is quite intimidating & overpowering for drones who are disconnected.

When we arn't online, yeah I suppose it can/does feel something like that. We constantly feel the need to tweet about running outta toilet paper etc & when that's taken away, it can be a 'does not compute' moment for many :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Maybe in the form that both feel a with drawl of a sorts when disconnected but other then that I don't see it as the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I'd feel more like a Pakled than a Borg if I don't have an Internet connection of some kind :p

extended_mind.png

Obligatory XKCD comic - http://xkcd.com/903/

Being serious.....there are plenty of people (myself included :() that find it a bit difficult to put down electronic gadgets and stuff. When the lights go out and we shut our eyes, we're just ourselves. I think that it's more challenging to be alone these days (not isolated, alone = wanting to be by oneself, isolated = feeling lonely) because there are many routes of communication, and so many things demanding your attention. I think it's important to make sure that you can be comfortable just by yourself.

It's also interesting to think that as well as solving world hunger, crime and the economy for almost all of humanity, the Federation eliminated the need to fiddle with gadgetry for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I feel more like Barney Gumble when he's not on drink when I don't have any internet. I get more stuff done, I'm more productive, more relaxed, time passes slower, everything is better but the internet just won't let me go! I'd prefer if there was no mobile phones over the internet. I'm so unenthused about mobile phones that the one I own is really outdated and I don't my number. The time before widespread high speed internet and phones was calmer, quieter and allowed a greater scope for imagination because one wasn't hooked into the mainframe.

I started a thread on trekbbs about the the benefits of a borg collective and needless to say all the Americans went apesh1t, because borg society=communism of sorts, its the ultimate conclusion of the social aspect to human behaviour, society becomes the consciousness borne from individual elements which become subservient to society hive mind. What's good about being a borg? Perfect equality, the absence of corruption, no one goes hungry, cold or lacks for anything. Lonliness is a non concept in the collective and everything functions perfectly because there are no individuals there to exploit others and take advantage of the system. In order to create utopia on earth I believe we must create a borg society.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

I believe we must create a borg society.
    Hmm Interesting .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I feel more like Barney Gumble when he's not on drink when I don't have any internet. I get more stuff done, I'm more productive, more relaxed, time passes slower, everything is better but the internet just won't let me go! I'd prefer if there was no mobile phones over the internet. I'm so unenthused about mobile phones that the one I own is really outdated and I don't my number. The time before widespread high speed internet and phones was calmer, quieter and allowed a greater scope for imagination because one wasn't hooked into the mainframe.

I started a thread on trekbbs about the the benefits of a borg collective and needless to say all the Americans went apesh1t, because borg society=communism of sorts, its the ultimate conclusion of the social aspect to human behaviour, society becomes the consciousness borne from individual elements which become subservient to society hive mind. What's good about being a borg? Perfect equality, the absence of corruption, no one goes hungry, cold or lacks for anything. Lonliness is a non concept in the collective and everything functions perfectly because there are no individuals there to exploit others and take advantage of the system. In order to create utopia on earth I believe we must create a borg society.

Certainly what it represents should be embraced, a society of total equalness in which there is no exclusion or prejudice and everyone works toward a common goal.

Certainly what it represents should be embraced, a society of total equalness in which there is no exclusion or prejudice and everyone works toward a common goal.

Why ? that all sounds very unhealthy to me . explain why these things are even vaguely desirable ? (except of course by the "Queen" of the hive)

There's no pain, no suffering, no strife, just perfect harmony. Our conceptions of selfhood and self determination are overrated. The individualism of Ayn Rand/neo liberial/Friedmanomics capitalism is self destructive but appeals to a certain section of the human race which wants to justify their selfishness to themselves and others under the pretense of a "scientific" theory. Hence they should be rendered obsolete. People aren't individuals anyway, we're all just physical manifestations of personality templates. Borgesian collectives all the way.

Bah, Borg wannabe's :p

The real enlightenment is Vulcan's, 'Infinite Diversity In Infinite Combinations' proverb, but obtianing it here on Earth is about as far fetched as your average holodeck episode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭AngryLips

EnterNow wrote: »
    'Infinite Diversity In Infinite Combinations'

I believe this has already been achieved in the After Hours forum.

• Advertisement

I believe this has already been achieved in the After Hours forum.

Lol yeah I suppose...but there's no unity in all the madness.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Bah, Borg wannabe's :p

The real enlightenment is Vulcan's, 'Infinite Diversity In Infinite Combinations' proverb, but obtianing it here on Earth is about as far fetched as your average holodeck episode :D

I didn't know that, in that case I would tend to go with the Vulcans. But then again the Borg have technological gizmos and look cooler.

I think Locutus would have something to say about that ...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

no i think we'll be ok , i was talking to Locutus there a few years ago and he said "we will be grand" and something about resistance , wasn't really listening .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

no i think we'll be ok , i was talking to Locutus there a few years ago and he said "we will be grand" and something about resistance , wasn't really listening .

They'll assimilate you the moment you blink :P

Advertisement