Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight of Fancy

Options
  • 11-04-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I was driving along in my car, and buzzard flew alongside and looked at me.

It seemed to be there eyeing me up for ages, thinking to itself "Tasty but I couldn't eat a full one"

It probably only lasted a moment or two really, but the experience was wonderful (and a bit chilling) It made me think that it must have been terrifying to be looked at like that by a huge T rex or similar beastie.

You hear of rabbits freezing as death approaches. Perhaps the big predators had a similar effect on prey?

Just an idle wayward thought. (By the way, that buzzard looked so magnificent in close up.)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If I was superstitious and that happened to me, I would be worried :D

Speaking of seeing animals up close, had the pleasure of surfing alongside some dolphins yesterday evening, they're considerably better surfers than me and boy are they big up close!

Imagine surfing prehistoric waters and having a Mosasaur sticking its head out :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    I was driving along in my car, and buzzard flew alongside and looked at me.

It seemed to be there eyeing me up for ages, thinking to itself "Tasty but I couldn't eat a full one"

It probably only lasted a moment or two really, but the experience was wonderful (and a bit chilling) It made me think that it must have been terrifying to be looked at like that by a huge T rex or similar beastie.

You hear of rabbits freezing as death approaches. Perhaps the big predators had a similar effect on prey?

Just an idle wayward thought. (By the way, that buzzard looked so magnificent in close up.)

Aren´t rabbits doing their best to remain undetected when they freeze?
    Recently there was a study about the tiger's roar and it turns out, it produces certain infrasounds that may have a paralyzing effect on its victims. We know dinos- including T-Rex- could hear infrasounds so they most likely could produce them too... maybe T-Rex's roar was paralyzing as well!

Awesome experience, the buzzard one tho.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If I was superstitious and that happened to me, I would be worried :D

Speaking of seeing animals up close, had the pleasure of surfing alongside some dolphins yesterday evening, they're considerably better surfers than me and boy are they big up close!

Imagine surfing prehistoric waters and having a Mosasaur sticking its head out :eek:

Reminds me of the first time I saw a sea gull up close while swimming in the sea. It looked so huge I was convinced it was an albatross XD

Advertisement