Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chili-lime pilsner

• 11-04-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

This was an idea I had a while ago and wanted to give it a go. I made up a cooper's pilsner kit with 1kg light spray malt, and an unknown quantity of brewing sugar (~400g maybe?). Gravity started about 1.048, and is now around 1.010. It's been syphoned into 2 secondary fermenters. Over the weekend, I cut up 3 chilies, put them in a muslin bag and boiled them up for 10 minutes or so. Added to the bag was the zest of 2 limes, and juice squeezed in too, for the craic. Tasted it a couple of days ago and it was hot enough for the chilies to come out! Smelled very limey, but no major lime flavour off it. I think i'll be putting a slice in the glass when I'm drinking it.

Pretty happy with it, all things considered, hoping to bottle soon. tastes like it'll be an interesting summer bbq type of beer!

The other half is still a plain pilsner, and I think i'll keep it that way. I am open to any suggestions, though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Sorry to go slightly off topic here but how long did you let the coopers pilsner brew initially? I'm brewing one at the moment and the label says something like 4-8 days which seems very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

viper123 wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly off topic here but how long did you let the coopers pilsner brew initially? I'm brewing one at the moment and the label says something like 4-8 days which seems very short.

No problem. I think it was about 2 weeks. Certainly at least 10 days. I did notice the bubbling stopped (or at least slowed a lot) around the 8 day mark. The 1st thing I learned from reading forums is to throw away the kit instructions. There are a lot of factors that influence how long a brew will take to fement, temperature, yeast etc.

Go by your gravity readings, and ignore the 8 day guideline. 2 or 3 days in a row with the same reading and no bubbling and you're good to go. Using a secondary or not is personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Cheers for that!

Now back to your chili lime beer. Does the chili not contrast badly with a chilled beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

viper123 wrote: »
    Cheers for that!

Now back to your chili lime beer. Does the chili not contrast badly with a chilled beer?

Really couldn't tell you, to be honest. I've only had a few sips from my trial jar! It's a strange one alright, but it's a bit of fun trying to come up with some interesting recipes/flavourings. It has a bit of a kick, but not enough to take your breath away or anything. Sure isn't a bloody mary filled with ice then laced with tabasco and spices!! If it's horrible when I drink it, I'll let you know...but I'll still drink it! And for what it's worth, I reckon the contrast will work nicely, but each to their own I suppose. I know for a fact some of my friends will throw it back at me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Sure have fun experimenting anyway. That's what it's all about for me. I like to create some nice beers for what they are and then I like to try different things to see what can be nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement