Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the wing

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Was reading through a few old threads on various aspects of the PDF, and came across something rather interesting/unusual.

Is there a time limit or something for officers in the wing? From what i've read most seem to only stay for 3/4 years. Any reason why?

Also, after passing selection, why is it that officers don't go on the skills course and get RTU'd?

I mean, surely the wing needs officers? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

I think its because officers usually spend about 3 or so years in appointments anyway. So if an officer passes selection, and gets asked to come to the ARW, he/she would do the ARW training and then spend the time of an appointment in the ARW.

*stresses *I THINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I think its because officers usually spend about 3 or so years in appointments anyway. So if an officer passes selection, and gets asked to come to the ARW, he/she would do the ARW training and then spend the time of an appointment in the ARW.

*stresses *I THINK

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Was reading through a few old threads on various aspects of the PDF, and came across something rather interesting/unusual.

Is there a time limit or something for officers in the wing? From what i've read most seem to only stay for 3/4 years. Any reason why?

Also, after passing selection, why is it that officers don't go on the skills course and get RTU'd?

I mean, surely the wing needs officers? :pac:

From what I hear very few soldiers stay in the wing long term due to the commitment/stress/hard work which of course apply's to officers. If the wing got 5 years out of someone I am sure they would be very happy. The reason Officers are RTU'd is simply because the wing is about the size of a company which means only a limited amount of spaces for officers whereas they can always cram a few NCO's in, although people getting in/people going out is pretty equal numbers. When an Officer passes selection he goes back to his unit and waits for a space to open.
    BigDuffman wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Women are allowed to try selection but none have yet to pass, this might not always be the case because a few females have made it into the ERU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

No females have passed Selection.

As for why Officers spend a relatively short time in the unit, quite frankly, it's because they have career's to pursue. If they want their career to move past a certain point, they have to head back to conventional unit's or Staff appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Poccington wrote: »
    As for why Officers spend a relatively short time in the unit, quite frankly, it's because they have career's to pursue. If they want their career to move past a certain point, they have to head back to conventional unit's or Staff appointments.

Ah right, so it's not really a case of the wing saying "Right, you did 4 years, off you go" and an officer could hypothetically stay in the wing for as long as they desired?

As for the female debate; it is certainly true that you rarely see a female with the right balance between CV fitness and muscle strength/endurance. I'd imagine it would be very difficult but if a female wanted it badly enough they'd probably spend a few years training for it and go and pass selection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Poccington wrote: »
    No females have passed Selection.

I also second that no females have ever passed selection and anyone saying so is full of it.

As for officers it is the exact same as the SAS you go in for around 3 years and then return to your unit then at a later stage and vacancy permitting go in as a CO etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Salvation wrote: »
    I also second that no females have ever passed selection and anyone saying so is full of it.

As for officers it is the exact same as the SAS you go in for around 3 years and then return to your unit then at a later stage and vacancy permitting go in as a CO etc.

Why are you posting, post after post of crap ? there are some officers who serve in the SAS for most of their careers (Sir Peter De Billiere), but most move on.

And nor is the time served is not 3 years its around 5 on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Whats so special about ARW selection then ? 50 out of 240 passed it between 2000-2006 according to records.

Women have passed selection in most NATO Special Forces, inc the SAS.

The only walt on here is you, posting bs.

Whats wrong ? Do women passing SOF selection make you feel inadequate ?

Crusader, are you actually reading what you're posting? That's not what the records said, nor is it what you posted. Allow me to refresh your memory. The bold bits shall be my emphasis on the relevant parts of what you wrote.

This is from 2005.

74. Mr. Gilmore asked the Minister for Defence the number of personnel deployed in the Army’s Ranger Wing; the number of men and women who are deployed; if women who have applied for selection to the Ranger Wing have made it through the training course; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [38162/05]

Mr. Kitt Mr. Kitt

Mr. Kitt: The Government is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for men and women in the Defence Forces and to the full participation by women in all aspects of Defence Forces activities. The military authorities have advised that detailed records of the number of applicants for the Army Ranger Wing are not maintained. However, since 2000 approximately 240 personnel, including one female, undertook the Army Ranger Wing selection course. Of these 50 — males — were successful. There are currently no female personnel serving in the Army Ranger Wing

......Between 2000-05, 240 undertook selection 50 were succesful in becoming Rangers.

Thats 22%, if 22% of candidates pass and become Rangers, then the odd female who switched on, determined and very fit will.

Now, I'm not sure where 50 successful male applicants out of 249 male applicants plus one female applicant (totalling 250 for those who can't count) over the course of five/six years becomes 50 successful female applicants, but please stop misrepresenting what is an excruciatingly clear fact. It's so painful to watch that the ARW could use it for interrogation resistance training ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Lemming wrote: »
    Crusader, are you actually reading what you're posting? That's not what the records said, nor is it what you posted. Allow me to refresh your memory. The bold bits shall be my emphasis on the relevant parts of what you wrote.

Now, I'm not sure where 50 successful male applicants out of 249 male applicants plus one female applicant (totalling 250 for those who can't count) over the course of five/six years becomes 50 successful female applicants, but please stop misrepresenting what is an excruciatingly clear fact. It's so painful to watch that the ARW could use it for interrogation resistance training ...

Do you have a problem with comprehension ?

Where did I say 50 women passed selection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The SRR are a UK special forces unit you eijeet, you said no women served in UK special forces.

No I am not a Pathfinder :confused:

Its like talking to a brick wall, I have just given links to women serving in SAS units (not as badged members) and you still deny it lol.

The two books you linked to; have you read either? Did both authors pass selection & the subsequent training required to both earn & hold onto the blue stable belt and tan beret? Or were they members of other units/organisations 'attached' to the SAS such as 'Det' ... which is mentioned in a customer review of "One Up". A cursor glance at the reviews is all it took to raise that question.

To further underscore the point of attachment following on from the above question, do you consider FET members attached to the Royal Marines or Paras to be members of those units? If you watched the recent "Royal Marines: Misson Afghanistan" documentary, you will encounter FET members, who also talk about it for the documentary and one of them does indeed mention (briefly) how she ended up on a FET team.

I in no way intend to diminish anything either author has done, since both of them have clearly put themselves in harms way which is more than most people - myself included - can ever say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Vast majority of the off topic and utterly irrelevant discussion about females, SOF and everything else have been deleted. The OP created a thread asking questions, try answering them instead of going down the usual posting copy and paste articles, point, counter point, pissing contest, petty insult etc. nonsense.

Back on topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

So It's not really a case of the wing saying "Right, you did 4 years, off you go" and an officer could hypothetically stay in the wing for as long as they desired?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭twinytwo

So It's not really a case of the wing saying "Right, you did 4 years, off you go" and an officer could hypothetically stay in the wing for as long as they desired?

i would think that as there would be limited officer places it is benifical to the army as a whole to have constant rotation.

A lot of good it is if say you a total of 15 commisioned officers and over a 10/15 year period none of them leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

There is no minimum or maximum time limit for officers to serve in the ARW. There are a certain set amount of officer appointments in the unit, obviously each appointment can only be filled by one person at a time.

Generally, an officer will pass selection and then go back to their respective units. Officers that pass selection are not guaranteed to serve in the ARW, for most, just passing the selection is as close as they get.

Some officers serve as little as two years and some stay a lot longer. As Pocc says, it's all down to a career choice. If you want to go up the ranks then you will have to do a certain career course. Your appointment in the ARW will be filled by another officer when you go, and you might not return to the unit.

You may also want to serve overseas, this could range from a 6 month to a 4 year tour. Again, your appointment in the ARW will be filled by another officer when you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I think, and stress the word THINK that everyone no matter what rank they were when they went into selection, if passed and continue training to become membersd of the ARW, lose their rank and have to start again, hence the reason why a lot of the people who join the wing only do so for a few years then are RTU'd and continue their careers as they see fit, very few people actually stay in the ARW in the long term AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    I think, and stress the word THINK that everyone no matter what rank they were when they went into selection, if passed and continue training to become membersd of the ARW, lose their rank and have to start again, hence the reason why a lot of the people who join the wing only do so for a few years then are RTU'd and continue their careers as they see fit, very few people actually stay in the ARW in the long term AFAIK.

Where is this info coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Mr. Tezza wrote: »

This is wrong, although during selection your rank means nothing, you could be a General but on selection the training NCO's are your boss and you would have to take orders and beastings of them no matter how much you outrank them. As far as I know the are no Privates in the wing because after the 6 month training after selection you are automatically promoted to Corporal.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

benwavner wrote: »
    Where is this info coming from?

now that'd be telling...
    CIGANO wrote: »
    This is wrong, although during selection your rank means nothing, you could be a General but on selection the training NCO's are your boss and you would have to take orders and beastings of them no matter how much you outrank them. As far as I know the are no Privates in the wing because after the 6 month training after selection you are automatically promoted to Corporal.

Thanks for correcting me cos I wasn't 100% sure of that but its what I was told, makes sense in fairness

Advertisement