Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carpark door incident royale

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hey folks :)

I robbed this from my own site, 'cause I can't type anymore lol. Don't know if any of you have gone this route, but I'm properly peeved off so I did:

Sometimes I despair of people, frankly. Sitting in a carpark in Bray, minding my own business when ... thud ... and the car rocks from one side to the other. Yes, the little darling in the back of the car that had been parked in the space next to me flung the door open full force. It hit my car so hard I wouldn't be surprised if he lay on the back seat and kicked it open!

I duly get out for a look - see. By this time him and her plus darling have got out of the car. I remark "nice bit of damage there" (and there was) to which yerman goes "What are you on about?" "This" I reply, pointing at the damage. "Jesus, that'll polish out ... it's a 20 year old car!" goes yerman.

His other half was more direct, telling me to "get a f*****g life" and calling me a "sad b*****d". They walked off so I rang the guards to ask if they had any suggestions. They advised me to get the insurance details (somewhat slow on my behalf lol but I was slightly thrown by all this) It dawned on me to copy it off the windscreen, but then I thought no, if they returned it'd just make the whole thing take a different direction.

She returned plus kid and told me to "F*** off" when I asked her for the details. She then starts going "Do you think they'll arrest him? He's only six" plus something about "Do you think I won't have money for Christmas?" (wtf! icon_eek.gif ) It became apparent that I wasn't getting any details, so I rang the Gardai back and they said they'd stop by. Her son at this stage was back in the car and she was standing behind it calling me all sorts. He then did it again, as in whacked the door off my car full force, and she started laughing.

Her partner then turned up and he started calling me "stupid" and they'd alternately get out of the car and walk to the driver's window of my car arguing with me. When the Guards arrived she kept up the verbal abuse in front of them. The best her partner could do was accuse me of having an expired parking permit on my dashboard. She then proceeds to maintain that I was "staring" at them all she was going to give me the details all along (yeah right) but that she didn't want me to have her address because "to be honest I find him a bit creepy" ( icon_lol.gif )

So very long story short, it's going through the insurance. Had I been dealing with two civil people here I might have entertained the thoughts of a cheaper means of putting the car right, but they (mostly she) talked themselves into the expensive workshop job. The dent isn't huge by any means, but it's right on the 'seam' where the metal angles towards the side windows, and looks terrible at an angle. This put me in a bit of a bad mood for the day ... there are some pretty nasty folk out there.

I think the sooner that 480 comes back out of daily service the better icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Propper order, perhaps if more people took this stance ignorant people would think twice before they smash there door off another car. Really annoys me how some people have no regard for other people's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Some people are

A - Unbelievably Ignorant
    and/or
    B - Unbelievably Stupid

Sounds like you got A + B there.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Fair play to you. You were perfectly right to stand your ground.
    People like that show their ignorance and arrogance whenever confronted with situations that require a sense of fairness or just basic good manners and proper behaviour. Its no harm to let them have a piece of behaviour adjustment every now and again.
    No doubt Junior was observing Maw and Paw closely to watch how such matters should be dealt with. No harm for him to see the other side of life's little ups and downs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

What a pair!!! You're lucky they didn't drive off though before the Gardai showed up. Their brat sounds like a spoilt little lump as well. TBH you could forgive a child for walloping your car with the door of their own... once, but to do it a second time and to laugh? Little diddums will get what's coming to him eventually though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fair play, indeed.

What kind of car were you driving, ahal? Saab?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Cheers folks :)

Glad to see I'm not alone in my angst. What really got me (apart from the young lad doing a re-enactment) was actually the father's reaction initially: "But it's a 20 year old car!" (....?)

Dades wrote: »
    Fair play, indeed.

What kind of car were you driving, ahal? Saab?

It was indeed the 480 Dades. I wouldn't have minded too much if it was the Saab, as the metal is so strong on that yoke it wouldn't bend at all :D

This is the 2nd. incident I've had with the 480, and it seems (judging also by past experiences in all cars) that the first thing most people do is try and get out of it. Last time was at the bottom of Dawson St. around 2003. I was turning right onto Nassau St. and the dude in a Mazda 626 who was deep in conversation on his mobile decided to change lanes.

I jammed on and beeped but he didn't hear me ... and he duly grazed the front bumper of the 480 (and in doing so took the rear bumper clean off his Mazda!) He not only remarked at how much newer his 626 was, but he came out with this cracker, which I've spent the past 9 years trying to get my head around:

"I'm with Allianz, they're one of the World's biggest insurers you know"

WTF-copter! :pac::pac::pac:

He then fled the scene (after putting his back bumper in the boot) but ended up paying in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

What a pair of a-holes!!! :mad: This makes my blood boil...

I bet they're now telling all their friends how this "w*nker" in an "old heap of sh1t" is trying to get money out of them.... I've had these comments thrown at me as well.

2 problems out there:

a) people have absolutely no respect for other people's property
    b) there's still a lot of people out there that reckon that every car over 5 years old is worthless

Chemical castration is the way forward for these people!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

ahal wrote: »
    Cheers folks :)

Glad to see I'm not alone in my angst. What really got me (apart from the young lad doing a re-enactment) was actually the father's reaction initially: "But it's a 20 year old car!" (....?) QUOTE]

Yep, that's the attitude that freaks me out alright, the ignorant statement that sure it's an old car anyway...what are you being so fussy about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed! Pricks! The 480 is. Lovely car. I had a big thing for them back in the late 80's and they're rare enough now. I bet said assholes were driving some 3 year old anonymous trendy bore-mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

My wife ran into a pair of women like this some years ago. But when she rang the Guards they said cos the carpark was private property they couldnt help!!
    The missus had 2 small children with her at the time.
    And they were very intimidating towards her.
    Some real scumbags out there. Glad to hear 2 of em got comupance:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Sorry to hear, but unfortunately there are alot of rude, ignorant and agressive people out there. Fair play for standing your ground. Repairs on a 20 year old car are as expensive (or more expensive) than for more modern cars. Hopefully, you will get the full cost of the repair from their insurance and hopefully this claim will also affect their no-claims and jack up their insurance premium come renewal.

I had the opposite experience many years ago. There was a car parked in my blind spot and I accidently touched off it. I got out and it was an old renault covered in scratches and dents. Trying hard to find where I made contact with it, I told the driver I was sorry and that I thought I had dented it. He said 'Ah, your grand, it wouldn't be the first dent in it' and he left it at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ahal wrote: »
    So very long story short, it's going through the insurance. Had I been dealing with two civil people here I might have entertained the thoughts of a cheaper means of putting the car right

Fair play to ya. Hope they get stung on their insurance renewal

The only accident I have ever been in (touch wood!) in my 26 years of driving was a few years ago when I was rear ended by a woman (in her 20s) on a roundabout. Very low speed impact, probably about 5-10km/h). I had my whole family in the car though, including a one week old baby :(

The girl got out of her car, completely ignored us and spent several minutes taking pictures of her own car and the damage to it. She then spoke to me claiming I was at fault :rolleyes:

Long story short, I went through the insurance too and had the main dealer repair the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

kevin65 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, but unfortunately there are alot of rude, ignorant and agressive people out there. Fair play for standing your ground. Repairs on a 20 year old car are as expensive (or more expensive) than for more modern cars. Hopefully, you will get the full cost of the repair from their insurance and hopefully this claim will also affect their no-claims and jack up their insurance premium come renewal.

I had the opposite experience many years ago. There was a car parked in my blind spot and I accidently touched off it. I got out and it was an old renault covered in scratches and dents. Trying hard to find where I made contact with it, I told the driver I was sorry and that I thought I had dented it. He said 'Ah, your grand, it wouldn't be the first dent in it' and he left it at that!
    I remember some years ago I drove unto the back of a farmers vw Vento and he got out and said " a shure you've got bigger problems than me " and he drove off and left it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I remember some years ago I drove unto the back of a farmers vw Vento and he got out and said " a shure you've got bigger problems than me " and he drove off and left it at that.

I think it depends on the circumstances...I know I was in a situation in a petrol station a few years ago where I guy reversed into my Fiat Punto, causing a pretty big dent. He got out and apologised and to be honest I didn't care much for the car anyway so I just let him off! But when someone causes damage through ignorance rather than by accident and doesn't give a toss because 'sher its a 20 year old car'...these people make my blood boil. You can guarantee if it was the other way around they would cause ructions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

how are you going to prove they done the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

how are you going to prove they done the damage
    Sounds like they admitted it in front of the Gardaí.

Anan1 wrote: »
    good luck with getting gardai into court to confirm that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Anan1 wrote: »

Correct ... perhaps unknown to themselves they did in fact admit it. The Garda had a good look at both their car and mine. If it has to go to court it will, even if I end up losing money. I think someone treating damage to someone else's property as a laughing matter needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I backed into a car myself a few years back ( didn't do too much damage put a small crack in his front bumper 2 inches). Got out and told the driver I'd fix him up for the damage and to get a quote for repair, few days later I get a call from this lad telling me he got a quote for repair for 3000. When I questioned him about it he told me that his front bumper was carbon fibre and couldn't be repaired and that his carbon fibre bonnet was also damaged, thing is bumper was 100% cheap fibreglass and the Bonnett was bastardised with 3 stone of filler and a fake evo vent. He then went on to tell me that if I didn't cough up that his kneck could get sore very quickly and he'd have to visit his solicitor. I offered him 300 to get his bumper resorted and filled and he refused so I told him id go through insurance. In the end it turns out the scrote had no insurance but yet tried to claim the same ****e to an assessor who saw straight through the ****e! Accident cost me €350 in the end and cost the other lad 2 years off the road for no insurance. So karma does bite back :)

I backed into a car myself a few years back ( didn't do too much damage put a small crack in his front bumper 2 inches). Got out and told the driver I'd fix him up for the damage and to get a quote for repair, few days later I get a call from this lad telling me he got a quote for repair for 3000. When I questioned him about it he told me that his front bumper was carbon fibre and couldn't be repaired and that his carbon fibre bonnet was also damaged, thing is bumper was 100% cheap fibreglass and the Bonnett was bastardised with 3 stone of filler and a fake evo vent. He then went on to tell me that if I didn't cough up that his kneck could get sore very quickly and he'd have to visit his solicitor. I offered him 300 to get his bumper resorted and filled and he refused so I told him id go through insurance. In the end it turns out the scrote had no insurance but yet tried to claim the same ****e to an assessor who saw straight through the ****e! Accident cost me €350 in the end and cost the other lad 2 years off the road for no insurance. So karma does bite back :)
    dont believe any of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

dont believe any of this

What don't you believe? To clear it up I had nothing to do with him being put off the road. He was caught a week or two afterwards.

Advertisement