Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need dental work. Is there insurance/coverage available? (American working in Dublin)

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I moved to Dublin in January and shortly after had a crown come loose.

I'm trying to get this sorted now that I've got a bit of money saved up but I know nothing about the Irish dental / medical system. I'm an American on a 1 year visa. What should I do? Is there dental insurance or coverage available? Does PRSI or any of my taxes cover me?

As it's been a few months, I fear the procedure'll be more complicated than just putting the crown back on. The plastic bit round my tooth upon which the crown/cap had been mounted has cracked. I don't want to pay 1000€s out of pocket if it can be avoided.

I've also been putting off having my impacted wisdom teeth removed as I had neither dental nor medical insurance while I was in America.

I'd appreciate any advice as this is causing me considerable stress.

Cheers,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eoin_Eamon wrote: »
    Is there dental insurance or coverage available? Does PRSI or any of my taxes cover me?
    PRSI doesn't cover anything much these days and I can't see the insurance paying out on a pre-existing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

the_syco wrote: »
    PRSI doesn't cover anything much these days and I can't see the insurance paying out on a pre-existing issue.

exactly....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Eoin_Eamon

So there's no alternative to paying entirely out of pocket? In other words, I should just ring a few dentists, ask after their rates, and take the one which seems the best value for money as the price quoted is what I'll be made to pay?

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP just be aware that if the price seems to good to be true, there's usually a catch!.

I'm sure a few people can recommend a dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

the_syco wrote: »
    I can't see the insurance paying out on a pre-existing issue.

My dental insurance has wait periods but there's no exclusions for pre existing conditions like there would be with health insurance. I think the wait period is 12 months for a crown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

A dental receptionist won't be able to quote for treatment over the phone until you've been seen by a dentist- ie: is the quote for a recementation, a new crown, a temporary crown, an extraction& replacement tooth, what?
    Someone dentally qualified needs to assess the tooth& discuss what your options are, only then will you be able to go price-shopping.
    Re the impacted wisdom teeth, also have them assessed by the dentist.
    PRSI, if you qualify for this, covers one checkup a year, that's it.
    Dental insurance companies usually have clauses of 3/6/9/12 months before you can make a claim, waiting this long to fix the tooth may lead to a more complicated(& far more costly, financially& biologically)treatment.
    A checkup/consultation doesn't cost much- &noone will bulldoze you into treatment there and then!-but it will allow you the chance to find out what exactly you're facing. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Isn't there legislation on certain service price disclosure now. I visited a few dentists over the last few months and all had prices displayed at reception for routine services.

@Eoin - you could ask directly for their standard filling price and then search out good or bad reports on the dentists in question. Though not on boards, legal liability and all that.

Advertisement