Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of heading to Scotland this summer

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

no route planned as yet, Like singin pubs, small villages etc
    anybody been there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Bring lots of midge repellent!! vicious b*****ds up there..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

My only trip to Scotland was a short one for a match, stayed in Edinburgh Caravan Club site which was excellent. Short trip into the city where there's lots to see and do.
    karmaan wrote: »
    no route planned as yet, Like singin pubs, small villages etc
    anybody been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Have been to Scotland many times, I absolutely love it. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the world imo, if you are travelling around heading up the west coast Glasgow up to fort William is a stunning drive. You can go through the isle of skye get a ferry and head out to the western isles. My mother in law lives in berneray on north uist, lovely group of islands and if the sun shines you won't find nicer and quieter beaches. You could also head from skye across the highlands to inverness, this has really come to life over the past few years, it would remind you of a quaint university town, lots of greenery in the town,lovely pubs restaurants and your about 30 mins from lough Ness. It goes without saying that the scenery is breathtaking throughout. Then you could head from there down to Edinburgh, across forth bridge through Perth, along the east coast. Again stunning, all campers and/or caravans all well catered for,lots of sites throughout. I would definitely recommend going there,but maybe im biased as OH is from there but all my family love heading over there also. Good luck with wherever you choose.
    As mentioned earlier the midgies can be a nightmare but you could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Havent been in a while but love it. First trip was a 5 day return on ferry and we did a quick lap of the country.

Not a whole lot between the ferry and Glasgow unless you're into golf. University side of Glasgow and city centre nice but not essential and for hassle free there's a Clyde bridge to the west of the city, get you up to Loch Lomond easily.

Sea lochs & Oban on the way up to Fort William, Glen Nevis, Glencoe (gorgeous), Bonny Prince charlie monument at Lough Shiel (a Highlander location, not far from Fort William), Eilean Donan Castle near Kyle of Lochalsh which has a bridge to SKye (havent been to Skye but hear great), take the road to Inverness via Pickton (Hamish McBeth). Culloden battlefield just east of Inverness, Sterling Castle, Edinburgh as mentioned.

Will do it on a motorbike at some stage, only ever been around it by car but camper should be fine.

Advertisement