Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping to Melbourne

Options
  • 10-04-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I hope someone can help - I've trawled through old threads, but just one provided some info that I was looking for.

I'm after getting a job in Melbourne and my new employer is paying to ship my belongings from Ireland.

Can anyone recommend a good shipping company? I've come across a few online, but would love some personal feedback.

We (my partner and I) are not planning to ship furniture - it'll mainly be kitchen appliances (more than I imagined we'd accumulated!), a few boxes of books, a TV/Blu Ray player, probably bedding and towels (I've read they're very expensive out there) as well as all our clothes.

The plan is to ship most stuff by sea in the next two wks if possible and the remainder by air two weeks before we leave.

I've read that one or two provide free storage PRIOR to shipping, but need one that stores stuff (ideally for free) on arrival as we won't be renting a place until we get there.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We shipped with Careline. No problems. We didn't have enough for a full load so went groupage or part of a container. The problem with this is that you have to wait until the container is full before its shipped. It dies work out cheaper-might not be a worry for you if employer is paying.

You pay for volume shipped not weight. You therefore get the best 'value' by shipping small heavy items!

On advice of others we shipped our stuff weeks before we left home. It is easier to beg/borrow things you need from friends and family at hone. If you need items here before your shipment arrives then you'll probably end up buying them, which is a pain.

Our shipment took about 16 weeeks I think from collection to delivery here in Melbourne. Be careful with packing as the customs here do go through very carefully. You will be liable for any costs for fumigating etc if your contents need it or quarantine. I cleaned soles of our shoes, bicycle wheels etc before they were packed. You also get charged for the customs time in opening and checking boxes. So make sure items they are interested in are packed together in hope they'll only open those. For example all wooden items. Company will pack for you but handy to have this in mind.

Not sure that anyone will store them for free but of course there are manynself storage options. With our shipment we needed a delivery address before we left which was difficult as we only had a few weeks in a serviced apartment. Luckily friends agreedd we could use theirs. We had actually rented a house before the shipment arrived in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hgbrux

Hi, thanks for that. I hadn't thought about a container until you mentioned it; now thinking about shipping a car! Also good to know about packing stuff for customs.

You mentioned that you stayed in serviced apts on arrival. We'll be looking for something to the eastern part of the CBD - can go out a bit if you've any recommendations for something not too expensive?

Thanks again.

We stayed in an apartment on Flemington Rd more North than East, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Be careful with packing as the customs here do go through very carefully. You will be liable for any costs for fumigating etc if your contents need it or quarantine. I cleaned soles of our shoes, bicycle wheels etc before they were packed. You also get charged for the customs time in opening and checking boxes. So make sure items they are interested in are packed together in hope they'll only open those. For example all wooden items.

Do you have any links to the custom requirements? they sound a bit over the top but It will be handy to know exactly what to have done and what to leave behind for simplicity!!!

No6 wrote: »
    Do you have any links to the custom requirements? they sound a bit over the top but It will be handy to know exactly what to have done and what to leave behind for simplicity!!!

Check out this website
    http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

hgbrux wrote: »
    now thinking about shipping a car!

Unless its something really special/different don't bother. Really its not worth it, it get quite expensive with import fees and charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

s.c wrote: »
    Unless its something really special/different don't bother. Really its not worth it, it get quite expensive with import fees and charges.

What about a 5 series BMW?

Just bought second hand here for €7400.

Would this be worthwhile? I think they are very very expensive in Oz

bigbadcon wrote: »
    What about a 5 series BMW?

Just bought second hand here for €7400.

Would this be worthwhile? I think they are very very expensive in Oz

European cars are quite expensive here. It makes me sick to see the prices of the cars here compared to at home but as far as I know there are massive fees for importing a car here. I think I saw a thread on britishexpats about it. I will have a look for it.

s.c wrote: »
    European cars are quite expensive here. It makes me sick to see the prices of the cars here compared to at home but as far as I know there are massive fees for importing a car here. I think I saw a thread on britishexpats about it. I will have a look for it.

Very good thread from 2007 here. Not massively expensive after but a lost of hassle involved.

Advertisement