Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website virus checks

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

A customer of mine whose website I designed just emailed me saying customers of his are getting warnings when visiting the website. He himself hasn't noticed anything wrong, I'm getting no warnings and I've tested the site on 3 virus check sites : www.urlvoid.com , https://www.virustotal.com/ and www.siteadvisor.com/ and they've all come up with clean reports.

I'm presuming it's a problem with his customers machines but are there any further checks I can do to give my customer confidence that the problem isn't with his website.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

Is the site Joomla based? Most of the compromised websites that I see in web surveys are Joomla based and have outdated plugins. Some of these compromised sites will have the payload links in HTML code that does not render in a browser and you'd have to look at the source code to see them. If doing so, use a text browser or disable Javascript in the browser when checking the site. The latest survey flagged 231 Irish websites as being compromised.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Was he using chrome because my chrome lately is marking a lot of sites lately. A couple of days ago it marked arstechnica then the next day gamasutra.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Thanks for the replies! The site isn't Joomla based but thanks for the tip, useful for future reference.

I think it's a Google/Chrome issue (cheers CrazyFish) as I did a check with Google Analytics and apparently the website was flagged in 2009, for what I'm not sure but it seems to be checking out fine now using those site scans (thanks Trojan).

I've had to apply to Google for a Review Request and hopefully they will look at the site and see that it is secure. I know it's all in the interest of safety, is it going a bit far to have reports from 3 years ago affect a site so much now especially when such a quick online check can verify this? It's a completely normal business site, nothing funny!

I wonder how much work it would be for Google to add a simple site check like http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/ to help validate current web sites.

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisement