Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

énergie fitness 5k 20/5/2012

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Run with énergie this May!
    We are holding a Charity 5k on May 20th in the beautiful grounds Marlay Park in aid of the Niall Mellon Township Trust. The race will commence at 10.30am and all entrants will receive a goody bag on the day which already has lots of great treats inside! There are also some terrific prizes up for grabs on the day for various categories but also some spot prizes will be available so everyone will be in with a chance of claiming a prize! All participants will receive a timing chip with race results on the web and by text.

Check out our Facebook event page here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/358411804181616/

Enter the 5k here: www.energiefitness.ie/rathfarnham

We hope to see you all there in May at what promises to be great day out! So stretch your legs for a good cause and enter now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Route for this one below:

536683_154624767997246_100003491715430_189648_264270185_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Energie 5k

What a terrific route through the gorgeous grounds of Marlay Park! Many thanks to Rathfarnham Athletics Club for their help in finalising the route and thanks to Keith123 for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Will the route be closed off in any way? I did a race in Marlay before and it was a bit manic dodging toddlers, dog walkers etc?

Hi. No the route will not be closed off as such but we worked hard with Rathfarnham Athletics Club to keep the route along the wider and quieter pathways. The race is also limited to 400 entrants so hopefully you will not experience such hazards this time around.

Hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

This would be a handy race for me as I live quite nearby but I'd share Dotcomdolly's concern about dodging children and dogs. Even when no race is on, it's very busy with families on weekend mornings and can sometimes be hard to get past. Most of it looks ok with room for passing but there are a few tight spots at bridges and the like and it can be a bit chaotic up near the playground and dog park.

• Advertisement

Yes, we understand those concerns and unfortunately as it is a public park, there is no way that we can close off any areas just for our race. What I will say is that there will be over 20 stewards there on the day and we will inform them to advise any dog walkers and/or families that the race is taking place and to avoid certain areas where possible. Also, we believe that holding the race quite early will avoid the park's busiest times!

I hate to be negative but the Reindeer Run was on at 11am in frieezing
    mid-January and I was yelling "EXCUSE ME" at people walking the breath of the path. Or dog walkers with those extending leads...

We're sorry that your experiences of events in the park to date have been negative but we will strive to ensure that the race runs smoothly throughout the park and our stewards will be informed to direct other park users away from the race route as much as is possible. We hope that the énergie 5k can change your opinion!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

New event for Sunday 20th May 10:30am. Think this will be my comeback race. €10 to enter online:
    http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/EnergieFitness5K

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NinjaStudent

Anyone know if this is on grass or the pavement around Marlay Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

On the tarmac paths by the look of that map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I run around Marley Park regularly, As Ray said, its a tarmac path around the edge.

The only bit that might not be tarmac is around 4k, I think some or all of that bit is more like a hard forest path, but I don't think its a bad surface. Its a bit narrow at that point, though.

Thanks for the insight, ive never ran in marley park, ill stick to race runners so as opposed to ones with more grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Energie 5k wrote: »
    The race is also limited to 400 entrants

Is this a hard limit? In other words is there a chance I could turn up on the day and find out the entry level has been exceded?

Thanks

I decided to give this a whirl. I got a confirmation email but no info on when and where I can pick up my race pack - is it the morning of the race?

I was sure I saw it on their FB page but can't find it now,
    you can collect it from Energie on Friday evening, sat afternoon, or morning of race...
    I'm sure someone will update with proper details soon. Good luck on Sunday.

I was sure I saw it on their FB page but can't find it now,
    you can collect it from Energie on Friday evening, sat afternoon, or morning of race...
    I'm sure someone will update with proper details soon. Good luck on Sunday.
    Thanks, I'll check that out - I'm sure it's there somewhere!

The following is the info I was given:

You will need to collect your race number and bib (which contains your timing chip) at our Rathfarnham Club which is located in the Nutgrove Retail Park (above Aldi) during the following hours:
    Friday, May 18th from 6pm-9pm
    Saturday, May 19th from 9am-6pm
    Morning of the race!

The following is the info I was given:

You will need to collect your race number and bib (which contains your timing chip) at our Rathfarnham Club which is located in the Nutgrove Retail Park (above Aldi) during the following hours:
    Friday, May 18th from 6pm-9pm
    Saturday, May 19th from 9am-6pm
    Morning of the race!

Thanks a mill, that's great. Hope you enjoy the race!

Nice race, well organised apart from some confusion at the start line. Great goody bag and was thrilled with my kiehls spot prize.

So nice to meet huskerdu and gnu there

Happy enough with 25:49 - 11 secs off a pb but I had to stop twice with heaving belly :(

• Advertisement

Nice race, well organised apart from some confusion at the start line. Great goody bag and was thrilled with my kiehls spot prize.

So nice to meet huskerdu and gnu there

Happy enough with 25:49 - 11 secs off a pb but I had to stop twice with heaving belly :(

Great to see you, Dolly.

Very pleased to get 23.40. 3 seconds off a PB, and with the reoccurance of a bit of ITB syndrome, and very little running in the last few weeks, I'd have been happy with anything.

I thought there were very few stewards, but it all seemed to go well and it was a nice route around Marley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciaran_

Great morning for a race and was very well organised, delighted with a new pb 20.58 :D. Was a little concerned with pedestrians getting in peoples way but it wasn't an issue at all. And a nice little goodie bag to top it off all for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I registered this morning as I wasn't sure if family plans would allow me to run this, I'm delighted I did, it was a lovely morning for it. Great friendly volunteers and a nice flat course.
    My Garmin has it quite short at 2.98miles (I know it should be KMs but I hadn't changed the settings) PB for me of 20.37 and first in my category (sometimes old age has its advantages:))

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Good race, well organised, accurate & just a tenner. Delighted to see gerard65 return & run so strongly after a long injury.:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    My Garmin has it quite short at 2.98miles (I know it should be KMs but I hadn't changed the settings) PB for me of 20.37 and first in my category (sometimes old age has its advantages:))

Congratulations.

my Garmin measured it at 5k exactly.

Is there a list of results anywhere yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

My first race ever. Hoped to break 30 min and came in in 28:30. Gave it everything. Couldn't speak for a minute afterwards!c I really enjoyed the course and the buzz of running with such a large group of people was terrific. Next target the Docklands 8k in June!

huskerdu wrote: »

Is there a list of results anywhere yet ?

In answer yto my own question, the results are available on the Precision timing website

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F866%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

AJCOT wrote: »
    Good race, well organised, accurate & just a tenner. Delighted to see gerard65 return & run so strongly after a long injury.:)
    Thanks AJ. Enjoyed this. Very well organised, alot more expensive races could learn from these, I think Rathfarnham AC were involved in the orgnisation. Got 3.11mls on the FR so bang on.
    My first race after a long injury layoff and a chest infection a couple of weeks ago meant my slowest 5k ever at 20:17 but its great to be back in the saddle:D

ciaran_ wrote: »
    Great morning for a race and was very well organised, delighted with a new pb 20.58 :D. Was a little concerned with pedestrians getting in peoples way but it wasn't an issue at all. And a nice little goodie bag to top it off all for €10.

Me too, but it was grand, a pleasant surprise.
    I like the printed bag too, I have enough of the drawstring variety already :)
    Super good value, I'd be happy to pay €15 if €10 was going to the chairity.

• Advertisement

I was pleasantly surprised by today's race. I did have to do some fancy footwork to avoid families out walking a couple of times but it wasn't a big problem at all. I thought it was good value at €10.70 for a nice race and goodie bag (nice bag, will come in handy). I liked that I could get my result straight away and it was texted straight through as well.

I started off too fast and so I found the rest of the race harder going than usual but I hadn't run since the Terenure 5 mile as I was sick all week so I guess it was going to be hard anyway. I was thrilled with my time of just over 29 mins, had been hoping to beat my previous PB ~31mins. :)

It made my day to meet a Boardsie... thanks a mill for the big cheer Dotcomdolly, it gave my tired legs a real boost of energy at the end! Hope your knee survived ok!

Advertisement