Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another cold turkey thread....

Options
  • 10-04-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Think I am ready to give up tomorrow, was going to go down the patch road again, or even Allen Carr, but have broke each time after a few months with both of those.

Cold turkey for me tomorrow. Smoking rollies at the moment, have no idea how many I smoke, but around 20 a day, they are strong so thats a lot. Used to smoke Marlboro, over a pack a day before going onto rollies after my last failed attempt using Allen Carr(for the untempt time)from Jan to Feb this year.

Any advice to get over the first couple of weeks?
    Really need focus and maybe cold turkey could work this time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hey readyletsgo, I remember your last quit attempt.

Ive never done the repeat quits, I smoked for 20 odd years and quit on Jan 1, first time ever, and am still with it. So I can only imagine what youre going through - the main thing is - you have the want to be free of this awful bloody addiction, and thats going to be what frees you.

I was a cold turkey quitter. I treated myself like I was sick for the first 3 days, lemsips, paracetamols, plenty of fluids (I actually had been ill but this was definitely aimed at quitting rather than illness).

I had a packet of fishermans friends practically glued to my hand, and a bottle of water. The fishermans friends were a great aid to getting over a particular crave. They last much longer than a crave, and the whole menthol things is not conducive to wanting to smoke either.

After that it was just a mental battle - and I just knew that I absolutely was going to refuse to give in.

I didnt go to a bar or restaurant for the month of January either - now that was partly money, being January, but it was also to give myself a fighting chance. I didnt have a drink at all for a few weeks (I often wouldnt anyway), but I just knew I couldnt risk it in the early days.

Oh I probably ate my way through the first week as well, but that stopped naturally, it was the fishermans friends that were the life savers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thanks UN, fishermans friend seems to pop up a lot for cravings. Whats in them that people find great to use...?
    Will pick up a packet of them this evening and use them.

I have nothing coming up drink or going out wise in general over the next few weeks so after the looonnng bank holiday weekend I see this as an opportunity to quit CT now.

Thank you for your advice!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Thanks UN, fishermans friend seems to pop up a lot for cravings. Whats in them that people find great to use...?

For me its the sheer blow your head off, open those sinuses, eye watering sensation - you definitely forget cravings while dealing with that ;)

Advertisement