Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Company Issue

Options
  • 10-04-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Okay, said Id post this here to see how many more are having this issue.

I reverted back to pay as you go some time back as my bills had become stupidly expensive.

I noticed lately that my credit was disappearing fast eventhough 90% of my family and friends are on the same network so I have free calls and texts to them.

So since my last top up last week, I have been checking my balance regularly to see what was going on. I have traced the problem to the internet on my phone.

I only use my phone internet at home, connected to Wifi, I never use it otherwise. So what seems to be happening is that maybe my Wifi signal drops, and then I am charged for whatever internet I am using.

This has become annoying as I am losing approx €1 a day since top up. I googled how to only have my phone connect to Wifi ( its a Blackberry ) and I changed the default browser to hotspot browser as I found on the net, but I am still being charged the last two days.

It is conveniently 50c most times, with it varying on some occasions.

So I am wondering is this happening to anyone else, and how do you stop it completely?

I want some info before I have to deal with customer care.

Thanks,

Barry

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's not really a mobile phone company issue, but rather a mobile phone issue.

Try posting your questions - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411

Probably just some config on your Blackberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are prepay blackberrys more expensive?

I thought blackberrys require a special plan due to the emailing element of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bazzak20

Hi Paul,

Ya you are probably right. I guess the issue is why am I dropping Wifi, and why changing the default browser hasn't worked.

I will try your link and do some more searching.

Hi Listermint,

I havent a clue to be honest.

Okay,

Im feeling pretty stupid now. Rang customer care and they told me that there is a 50c charge per day by Blackberry for using their services. Thats the first I had heard of it. I feel stupid and cheated. :eek:

I was oblivious to them, I got this phone as a present at X-mas. I was sure pay as you go coupled with Wifi was a straight forward process, but obviously not.

Might be taking the hammer to this phone later, its lack of loyalty is unforgivable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bazzak20 wrote: »
    Okay,

Im feeling pretty stupid now. Rang customer care and they told me that there is a 50c charge per day by Blackberry for using their services. Thats the first I had heard of it. I feel stupid and cheated. :eek:

I was oblivious to them, I got this phone as a present at X-mas. I was sure pay as you go coupled with Wifi was a straight forward process, but obviously not.

Might be taking the hammer to this phone later, its lack of loyalty is unforgivable..
    You are obviously with Vodafone? http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/pricing/blackberry/?ts=1334066664017

Meteor offer a blackberry add on for €9.99/month but you don't have to get it or can skip months but will not have access to some features without the add-on, O2 does not have any clear information on their website about the cost for blackberry devices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

As posted before you should disable Data, searching on google you need to do as per the link below.

Blackberry how to disable data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

turn off 3g/EDGE on your blackberry in the connection settings.

blackberry is a push service, so if you have email set up on the phone you will be charged for data unless you turn the data connections off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Paulw wrote: »
    It's not really a mobile phone company issue, but rather a mobile phone issue.

Try posting your questions - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411

Probably just some config on your Blackberry.

Please don't tell the OP to post in another forum as this causes duplicate posts and clean up for the mods. instead please use the Report Post functionality to alert a mod so that the thread can be moved.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bazzak20 wrote: »
    Okay,

Yeah thought as much, knew theyre was a cost on the blackberry. Your paying for the service level. They are an excellent phone if you need email 24 /7 but for the average user not really required.

Thanks for replies.

Ya Im with Vodafone. I use this the same way as my old 3gs iphone. Find it a bit much that they charge when Im connected to Wifi, but hows ever. The thing I dont get is I dont lose any functions when I have no credit, everything works as normal, but when I have credit they take 50c a day??

In another thread on here I found a rep for vodafone who says he can turn off Blackberry charges but still keep Wifi which is what I need. If I turn off Data Services on the phone I lose Wifi which is a dose. I rang Customer Care and the girl I met only talked me through turning Data Services off in Connection Settings.

Anyway, thanks for replies, if I do get it turned off and keep Wifi I will let ye know. If not its bye bye Blackberry. Would rather give the 50c to Trocaiire than give it to Blackberry needlessly.

Cheers,

Barry

• Advertisement
Advertisement